Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Lead Pharmacist, Operations--Full-Time, Days,
Job ID: 177031
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Mar 27, 2023
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Penn Medicine is seeking a full-time, days, Lead Pharmacist, Operations for the Hospital for the University of Pennsylvania (HUP)--Operations.
- The Lead Pharmacist shall be responsible for the day-to-day management of the assigned area, to include but not limited to staffing, scheduling, personnel management, staff performance improvement, inventory management, customer service, analyzing and recommending improvements to pharmacy operations, and coordination of the assigned area of pharmacy services.
- While observing and managing the daily operations of assigned pharmacy services, the Lead Pharmacist will ensure compliance of all policy, procedures and regulatory agency requirements.
- Maintain and supervise daily pharmacy workflow for assigned area throughout the shift ensuring all assigned work is completed and / or transitioned appropriately to the next shift
- Resolve staff and operational issues, and communicate to upper-level management as needed
- Manage technology issues and appropriately escalate as needed
- Manage staff coverage and attendance, ensuring appropriate coverage by way of contacting appropriate staff for replacements, effectively redistributing tasks to appropriate personnel when needed, and discuss with designated manager as necessary
- Establish daily goals for the designated team to ensure performance expectations are accomplished in a timely manner. Address staff performance, where necessary. Escalate challenges to ensure individual and operational success in a timely manner. Monitor and document staff performance with the goal of assisting with performance evaluations in a timely manner
- Manage purchasing and inventory issues \including loaning/borrowing medications, managing blood factor product consignment, receipt of controlled drug orders and emergency deliveries, and document and communicate appropriately
- Review, evaluate, and approve or deny non-formulary requests when Drug Information services are unavailable
- Access outpatient pharmacy after-hours as needed
- Complete shift sign-out with concise listing to include but not limited to the following categories: loaned and borrowed medications, sick calls, schedule changes, production, non-formulary approvals/rejections, etc.
- Participate in PennChart Integrated Computer testing when necessary
- Conduct nursing orientation sessions as needed
- Maintain competency as a clinical pharmacist and can function in multiple areas of the department
- Pharmacist (Required)
- Pharmacist License with the PA Board of Pharmacy required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- in Pharmacy OR PharmD
At least 2 years of Hospital pharmacy experience (Note that each residency year counts towards experience)
PGY1 Pharmacy Residency preferred
PGY2 Pharmacy Administration and Leadership Residency preferred
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE