Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) is looking for a Cytology Laboratory Scientist I (Full Time/Day Shift) to join the team!
- Performs high-complexity tests and procedures in the Cytopathology processing laboratory under the direction of the Supervisor, including conventional cytology and FISH techniques. Performs appropriately requested cytology analyses on all types of laboratory specimens, produces and documents accurate laboratory results for diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Accurately performs routine staining, mounting and special procedures on Gyn and Non-Gyn cytology specimens.
- Operates, troubleshoots and maintains lab instruments and tools used in the lab; Assists in developing or evaluating new technologies or test procedures in the lab.
- Accurately reviews patient samples and requisitions to properly capture all requested tests and evaluate the suitability of the sample.
- Promptly batches and sends slides/specimens back to cytotechnologist, pathologists or ancillary laboratories for review or additional tests.
- Minimizes the need to re-prepare cytology samples and promptly re-preps the samples, when requested.
- Accurately checks worksheets and lists in the lab information system to ensure all pending and completed work is promptly captured.
- Performs weekly/daily checks and documentation of temperatures, stainer slide counts and stain lots.
- Medical Lab Scientist ASCP (Preferred)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required) in MLS or other biological or chemical science or U.S. equivalent (substantiated by foreign credential evaluation statement)
- 0-1 years of experience in Cytology or Clinical Lab Broad knowledge of various laboratory methods and techniques, quality assurance, in addition to PC and LIS knowledge
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.