Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Collections Clerk, Patient Accounting (Remote)
Job ID: 177421
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Mar 28, 2023
Work Schedule: Remote – May require occasional on-site work.
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
This position is responsible for the collection of outstanding patient accounts which has a direct impact on Penn Medicine's cash flow and accounts receivable. Responsible for the efficient and effective execution of all assigned duties.
- Monitors and manages the collection of accounts receivable as assigned.
- Documents each collection activity on the Patient Accounting system.
- Initiates calls to insurance carriers to facilitate a payment and follow up on a timely basis.
- Prepares accounts for bad debt based on departmental procedure and management approval.
- Recommend accounts for free care or discounts based on predetermined criteria.
- Enters adjustments and/or corrections to accounts to update the Patient Accounting file.
- Initiates processing of late charges, re-bills, insurance discounts, refunds, audit discrepancies, etc.
- Responsible for dunning patients and insurance carriers.
- Adheres to the Quality Review and Productivity standards established for each unit or individual, recognizing that approved special projects will be calculated into the Productivity standards.
- Achieves a minimum of 90% of the assigned productivity standard weekly (after a 6 week ramp-up period for new employees)
- Achieves a minimum of 2.5 on Quality Reviews (after 3 mock QRs for new employees)
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Required Education and Experience
- H.S. Diploma/GED is required
- 1+ years of experience in hospital patient accounting is preferred
- Basic understanding of hospital billing and knowledge of hospital reimbursement is preferred
- Basic knowledge/understanding of healthcare/insurance terminology is preferred
Required Skills and Abilities
- Ability to use Microsoft Outlook
- Ability to use Microsoft Word
- Ability to use Microsoft Excel
- Possess good customer service skills
- Aptitude to work within multiple systems
Department: Patient Accounting
Location: Centre Square West Tower- 1500 Market Street
As part of our COVID-19 response, this position may currently be offering partial or full remote work.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE