Job ID: 174012
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Mar 28, 2023
Work Schedule: 8hr Days
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
This position is located in the Department of Dermatology Pathology.
Laboratory Technical Duties:
· Prepares and sets up equipment/apparatus (tissue processor, slide stainer, and slide coverslipper)
· Cleans, stocks, and prepares stock reagents
· Stores and labels prepared reagents, supplies, tissue/wax blocks, and specimens for future needs with accuracy to ensure correct identification and retrieval
· Completes Temperature Charts
· Record stainer reagent lot numbers
· Check and dispose of waste drums
· Disinfects lab ware
· Removes biohazard waste bags
· Clean embedding stations
· Maintain flammable storage unit in basement
· Transport waste drums to basement storage
· Files slides and blocks
· Labels slides
· Maintains patient slides and blocks
· Pulls slides and blocks as requested
· Loads slides racks on slide stainer and slide cover-slipper
· Follows established quality control and equipment maintenance procedures
· Utilizes all available tools and resources, and manages proper use of supplies
· Maintains various records/logs not limited to daily specimen accession, slide/block sign in and out, VIP processor, cover slipper, Artisan stainer, accession corrective action, consult slide, and patient accession.
· Prepares labels and mails specimen bottles and protocols to clients and maintains records of containers sent. Monitors contract accounts; maintains log of specimens received. Maintains patient slides and blocks. Mails biopsy material to contributors.
· Performs general laboratory tasks/duties, support/services functions, and other duties in area of responsibility as assigned.
· Maintains accurate patient logs, equipment maintenance records, and logs/charts as indicated by laboratory guidelines and procedures
· Utilizes appropriate and approved procedures for health and safety and maintains a clean, organized work area. Maintains safety procedures for self and others who work in the laboratory
Education or Equivalent Experience:
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.