Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Utilization Review RN - PPMC
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 177551
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Mar 28, 2023
Work Schedule: Days 40 Hours per week
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Penn Presbyterian Medical Center has a Utilization Review RN Case Manager opportunity.
- The Utilization Review Nurse will provide utilization review for authorization, concurrent review and discharge review services using InterQual criteria guidelines to validate medical necessity and appropriateness of the treatment plan. Uses critical thinking/leadership skills to ensure patients are at appropriate level of care, safely transitioned across the healthcare continuum, and third-party payor standards are met. Reports same to the Utilization Review Committee responsible for ensuring appropriate utilization review practices to decrease LOS/readmissions, prevent financial loss and lower financial risk. The Utilization Nurse will seek out and resolve discrepancies/delays in the care delivery process. Assures appropriate services are generated in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- Works collaboratively and maintains active communication with physicians, nursing and other members of the multi-disciplinary care team to effect timely, appropriate patient management.
- Assesses patient progress through the expected in-house course, mobilizing resources of the patient care team to ensure patient outcomes are achieved as planned.
- Is the liaison between third party payors and actively participates in denial management activities.
- Works with physicians in documenting medical care to accurately and completely reflect intensity of service and severity of illness.
- Evaluates the appropriateness of continued stay by performing concurrent review and reviewing planned interventions with the physician. Makes appropriate recommendations for continued stay and/or modification of the care plan and course of treatment.
- Consults and advises members of the interdisciplinary team and ancillary staff to facilitate patients toward targeted outcomes.
- Collaborates appropriately with physician advisor to avoid denials.
- Serves as preceptor to new hires.
- Identifies trends in inappropriate utilization of resources, including, but not limited to, delays in diagnostic testing, medical surgical procedures and physician management.
- Promotes individual professional growth and development by meeting requirements for mandatory/continuing education, skills competence, supports department-based goals which contribute to the success of the organization; serves as preceptor, mentor, and resource to less experienced staff.
- Communicates relevant clinical information including admission review, concurrent review and discharge planning needs, to third party payors to secure optimal reimbursement.
- Applies InterQual criteria to monitor appropriateness of admissions and continued stays and documents findings in the electronic health record.
- Follows 100% of assigned inpatient admissions
- Determines medical appropriateness of the patient’s admission (severity of service)
- Monitors the plan of care and proactively identifies barriers to the plan (intensity of service)
- Intervenes to avoid delays in plan of care.
- Coordinates the flow of clinical information with third party payors to ensure appropriate reimbursement, proactively identifies potential denials in order to avoid non-appealable denials.
- Registered Nurse License- PA (Required)
- Certified Case Manager - Preferred
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Nursing Required
- 3+ years nursing experience preferred
- 1+ years utilization review preferred
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE