Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Surgical Care Assistant- Per Diem
Job ID: 170652
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Work Schedule: per diem varied
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Responsible for the safe transport of patients, specimens, blood and blood products, charts, medical records, and other documents, linens, and equipment/supplies as requested, in a safe and timely manner. Provides support service to the surgical team with environmental cleaning, supply & equipment procurement.
- Transports patients via stretcher or wheelchair using safety measures appropriate for patient and vehicle.
- Positions patients correctly, aligns and supports torso and limbs as directed and per patient comfort.
- Ensures proper patient identification with the patient ID bracelet in place. Checks ID bracelet, asks patients name and date of birth and initials ACC Admission preprocedure record or the Pre op checklist for floor patients.
- Anticipates the need for equipment and supplies during the day, acquires the equipment for cases and decontaminates and stores equipment post operatively.
- Assists nursing staff with proper setup of patient care equipment, i.e. video carts, fracture table, shoulder equipment, urology table, etc.
- Reports any malfunctions of equipment to supervisory staff.
- Assists circulating nurse with positioning and /or prepping of patient.
- Performs QA on the labeling and documentation of specimens. Delivers the specimens to the designated lab areas in the required time frame. Obtains blood from the blood bank and delivers to designated patient in OR as needed.
- Follows established protocols for between case cleaning and decontamination of OR’s. Maintains clean, neat adjoining areas of the OR suite, i.e. sub-sterile room, storage areas and lounges. Keeps patient care area and work environment neat and organized
- Verifies/stocks warmers with solutions and blankets.
- Checks daily par levels of scrub brushes, masks, protective eyewear, mops, cleaning supplies, trash bags etc. Restocks as needed.
- Monitors and corrects areas of potential hazards, i.e., wet floors around scrub sinks, etc.
- Performs end of day cleaning to furniture, lights and patient care equipment.
- Uses resources and references for reviewing policies and procedures, information needed to complete job duties.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE