Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Patient Financial Advocate
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 179585
Work Type: FT
Location: Radnor, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Variable
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Title: Patient Financial Advocat
Department: PMR General
Location: Penn Medicine Radnor- 145 King of Prussia Rd
Hours: Full time regular
Summary: The Patient Financial Advocate reports directly to the Supervisor of Financial Counseling and serves to assist all scheduled HUP and CPUP patient financial situations prior to receiving treatment, especially those who are underinsured or uninsured. The Patient Financial Advocate obtains payer specific details, as necessary, and completes additional payer billing and collections. Maintains a professional and courteous behavior to ensure a positive image within the community served and to promote patient satisfaction. The advocate will also be responsible for establishing payment plans and other financial arrangements, determining patient's eligibility for Medical Assistance and Hospital Sponsored Financial Assistance, while also collecting patient's remaining estimated balances at point of service, to ensure timely payment for services rendered. This position is considered as one that has a high level of payor understanding and is able to navigate all patient financial scenarios.
- Access system work queues and calendar multiples times throughout day to obtain referred cases/patients that require assistance.
- Answers and resolves patient/guarantor inquiries (verbal and written) via telephone, in person (in-house and walk-ins) or email.
- Prior to service will conduct detailed discussion with patients, obtain insurance information and complete required tasks to determine patient’s eligibility for Medicaid and other state, federal and local government programs.
- Meets with patients on a one-on-one basis to discuss the cost of hospital services and current financial situations, obtaining all pertinent demographic information and financial data to ensure resolution of account.
- Assist patients in completing all applications required to receive external eligibility and internal financial assistance prior to service; follows up with potential sources of aid until determination of approval or a denial is received, applications include but not limited to Federal Funded Applications, State Medicaid Applications, Financial Assistance applications, Co-Pay Assistance Program applications, etc.
- Work with patient to obtain documentation necessary for applications.
- Uses patient information and hospital guidelines to calculate the amount of financial assistance patients ultimately receive.
- Calculate patient’s remaining balances and then discusses and finalizes the method of resolving patient balances through point of service collections, payment plans or other arrangements, to be determined by date of service.
- Request payments from patients at point of service, including during the pre-admission stage, at admission and after service but prior to patient discharge.
- Prior to service will calculate and estimate patient’s charges, request payments from patients at point of service, review remaining balances and discusses and finalizes the method of resolving patient balances through point of service collections, payment plans or other arrangements, to be determined by date of service.
- Facilitates financial communications between Patient Access Services, Physicians and Hospital Departments when necessary and collaborates with Social Workers and Clinical Resource managers when needed.
- The Patient Financial Advocates act as financial intermediaries for patients and departments in order to provide the best solution for the patient while also securing the financial integrity of the organization.
- The Patient Financial Advocate team are responsible for obtaining program award amounts of over $3.5M annually.
- The Patient Financial Advocate team are responsible for maintaining an average 76.6% collection rate from Patient Assistance Programs.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required) AND 7+ years relevant experience within a Hospital Revenue Cycle Department preferred.
- OR Associate of Arts or Science AND 5+ years relevant experience degree would be considered in lieu of experience within a Hospital Revenue Cycle Department preferred.
- OR Bachelor of Arts or Science AND 3+ years relevant experience degree would be considered in lieu of experience within a Hospital Revenue Cycle Department preferred.
- Experience using EPIC preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE