Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Administrative Services Associate
Job ID: 179228
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: Apr 24, 2023
Work Schedule: 8hr Days
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- This position is responsible in assisting with the management of a clinical practice in a busy academic clinical department. Duties are to coordinate patient related activity for both outpatient visits and procedures. This includes: triaging telephone calls, taking messages, and providing information to internal and external customers; scheduling outpatient appointments, surgeries/procedures, outpatient diagnostic tests, and admissions as requested; obtaining procedural and medical authorizations; preparing and processing billing, and preparing and processing correspondence.
This position is located in Secretarial Neurology department and will be Hybrid with 3 days on site at 3400 Spruce and 2 days remote.
- Clinical Duties
- Greets, screens, schedules and directs patients in a prompt, positive, pleasant, and helpful manner at all times even in the most adverse circumstances.
- Retrieves and processes incoming medical records/images, ensure scanning and physician review is completed.
- Ensures diagnostic testing and other evaluations are completed before visit if applicable.
- Assists attending physician with outpatient office hours including maintaining clinical schedule, closing necessary dates and moving patients if rescheduling is necessary. traveling to clinic location if applicable.
- Schedules required procedures and OR/Lab for patients at provider’s direction.
- Coordinates all procedures that need to occur prior to scheduling surgery, including but not limited to the scheduling of ancillary tests, pre-operative testing, x-rays, scans, MRIs, labs, EKGs as necessary for completion of pre-operative packages.
- Responsible for the timely submission of pre-op cases, and ensures accuracy of information and correct forms completed and signed in advance of procedure
- Processes medication refill requests, triaging to appropriate clinical staff.
- Coordinates and schedules cases with medical equipment representatives as required.
- Completes medication authorizations and obtains prior authorizations for procedures.
- Obtains medication pricing and coverage information for patients.
- Initiates Tier 1 prescription exemptions as needed.
- Schedules tests, procedures, and other clinical follow-up services as requested by the providers.
- Completes medical records requests.
- Handles all patient correspondence, including myPennMedicine messages.
- Admin Duties
- Answers and screens all phone calls and patient inquiries. Take appropriate messages/delegate to appropriate staff.
- Maintains multiple calendars, clinical schedules, surgery/procedure schedules, on call and office hours.
- Maintains physician Epic template.
- Attends and take minutes in meetings when necessary.
- Schedules travel and lodging for physicians and completes submissions of expenses for travel and other professional expenses.
- Updates CVs in FEDs.
- Create/Edit and distribute letters per attending physician direction.
- Coordinates submission and approval of journal articles, and permissions as directed
- Coordinates visits for visiting scholars.
- Coordinates visits and interview schedule for the recruitment of faculty
- On Call Schedule Management with the ability to enter and make changes to the call schedule in appropriate system, Qgenda, etc
- Billing Duties
- Use the correct CPT code for scheduling procedures/surgeries/admissions and link correct primary diagnosis
- Ensure that all operative reports and encounter forms are turned in for billing within the designated timeframes.
- Maintains comprehensive knowledge of reimbursement coverage from third party payers, managed care plans and
- protocols for referrals.
- Ensures all pre-registration items are completed to allow for timely and complete billing
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED
- And 2+years Medical office experience, or 2 years of customer service experience. Related clinical office experience required. Prior customer service or insurance verification experience in a healthcare setting preferred. A degree (Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's) may be considered in lieu of experience.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE