Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
***Hours - Overnights***
This position may be filled as a Sterile Processing Tech I or a Sterile Processing tech II:
This position is located at 800 Spruce St.
- The incumbent supports the Operating Room schedule by decontaminating, inspecting, assembling, packaging, and sterilizing surgical instrumentation. The incumbent is a vital member of the PeriOperatvie Services Team and must adhere to all Perioperative standards of practice. They must ensure the finished surgical instrument set is assembled appropriately for the scheduled procedure and that all instruments and supplies are dispatched to the correct location. The incumbent is accountable for the facilitation of common goals within the department, independent daily assignment duties, and for project duties as assigned within the department. They will also serve as a resource to the team and will be responsible for personal professional development as it relates to the department.
- • Operations • Cleans, decontaminates, inspects ,assembles, packages, and sterilizes surgical instrumentation • Follows established priority list, edited O.R. schedule, and telephone requests for required instruments. • Navigates automated instrument tracking system software. • Produces a minimum of 15 instrumentation sets per day • Demonstrates basic knowledge of the T-doc system • Clearly documents as applicable, all processed material not track via electronic system • Knowledgeable about all disinfectants and chemical germicides • Able to reference MSDS • Demonstrates knowledge of procedures of emergencies for steam sterilization machines • Ability to assist clinicians in one or more surgical specialties • Demonstrates knowledge of biological logins with no assistance • Makes professional use of downtime • Technical Skills: • Knowledgeable about all disinfectants and chemical germicides • Able to reference MSDS • Demonstrates knowledge of procedures of emergencies for steam sterilization machines. • Ability to assist clinicians in one or more surgical specialties • Initiative: • Demonstrates knowledge of biological logins with no assistance • Makes professional use of downtime • Teaching and Preceptorship: • Seeks supervision of performance when appropriate • Acts as a resource • Offers feedback in the spirit of helpfulness with respect for peers • Professionalism: • Demonstrates the ability to articulate and document departmental policies and findings • Promotes a work environment that attracts and retains key talent • Observes and verbalizes any breaks in techniques • Utilizes policies and procedures as a resource • Routinely attends in-service programs • Adapts to schedule changes and responds professionally • Takes ownership of tasks and problems when appropriate • • Accepts constructive criticism appropriately • Knows when to seek help • Communication: • Learns active communication skills • Learns to accept constructive criticism appropriately • Leadership • Demonstrates flexibility in assignment changes Accountabilities • Willingly accepts changes in assignments and/or location. • Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures • Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Requirements for a Sterile Processing Tech I:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 0-1 years Instrument processing experience
- Certification as a Central Processing Technician OR CRCST must be obtained within 18 months from date of hire.
Requirements for Sterile Processing Tech II:
- H.S. Diploma/GED And 2+ years 2+ years of Instrument processing experience required.
- Certification as a Central Processing Technician.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.