Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Summary: Enhance the operations of the department by coordinating the scheduling and preregistering of patients. Responsible for gathering, triaging and coordinating information between the various clinical, professional and technical disciplines. The position is responsible for ensuring excellent patient / customer relations. The employee exemplifies an understanding of Penn Chart scheduling functions and a strong understanding of complex treatment regimens for the area of specialty. Secure appropriate reimbursement through medical necessity and clinical exam validation. (PMPH Cancer Program - Plainsboro, NJ)
- Daily Department Operations:
- Receives, promptly responds and manages requests to schedule procedures via phone, Teams, PennChart and fax.
- Coordinates incoming requests for procedures relative to room/chair/bed allocation and staff availability. Schedules and pre-registers outpatients in accordance with scheduling guidelines, with the ability to prioritize according to patient needs. Seeks assistance from clinical staff, physician scheduler, physicians and other resources in coordinating appointments as needed. Organizes the schedule to assure adequate block time utilization.
- Ensures all necessary referrals, authorizations and/or pre-certifications are in place prior to scheduling patient’s appointment. If necessary, works with referring physician/ physician’s offices to obtain complete, accurate, and timely, clinical and insurance information required to schedule an appointment. Calls/faxes to referring physician offices as needed, requests for clinical information required to safely provide treatment.
- Communicates appointment dates/time to patient and e-mails appointment itinerary to patient and others and reschedules appointments to maximize utilization, as needed.
- Performs daily communication functions including email, voice mail, fax, and hard copy correspondence.
- Schedules meetings for the department.
- Performs transcription of the following: Radiologist meeting minutes, Radiologist letters and reports as needed, QA Technologist notes and peer review and Cardiopulmonary reports.
- Orders office supplies.
2. Performance Improvement
- Identifies and communicates need for scheduling modifications and development.
- In conjunction with Central Scheduling Department and Surgical Services Scheduling, identifies necessary system modifications and monitor the outcome to ensure all customer needs are met.
- Support customer service and performance improvement goals of the department; collaborate with other staff, within and outside the Department, to develop means of enhancing patient care and service.
3. Revenue Cycle Development:
- Be coordinator between clinical modalities, Central Scheduling Department, ancillary departments, physician offices, and Patient Access Services.
- Understands and implements policies, in coordination with the Patient Access and Patient Financial Services, relating to patient processing and health insurance verification.
- Proactively identifies and participates in process changes to minimize loss of revenue.
4. Training and Education:
- Educate and communicate with providers and clinical staff on procedure requirements to ensure patient safety.
- Provide education to physician offices in regard to scheduling protocols.
- Participates in on-going education activities to develop, maintain, and enhance professional expertise as monitored by supervision.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of the various IT systems utilized.
5. Physician Engagement:
- Consults with physician’s office to ensure written orders for appropriate services are obtained as needed.
- Collaborate with physician office staff to align PHCS resources effectively to ensure patient safety, customer satisfaction, and PHCS financial goals.
Education or Equivalent Experience: High School Diploma or equivalent required; Associate degree is preferred. Minimum (4 years) four years medical scheduling experience required; hospital background preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology. Certification with Schedgistration in PennChart completed within 6 months of hire.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.