Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Lead Medical Laboratory Scientist, 3rd shift - HUP Microbiology
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 180329
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Lead Medical Laboratory Scientist's primary responsibility is to assist section leadership in the oversight of laboratory operations. The incumbent's additional responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, performing waived, moderate, and/or high-complexity tests and procedures in clinical laboratory sections, performing appropriately requested clinical laboratory analyses on all types of laboratory specimens, and documenting accurate laboratory results for the diagnosis and treatment of disease.
- Assists section leadership in the oversight of laboratory operations; Assists in scheduling and staffing of laboratory, ensuring adequate staffing on all shifts, weekends, and holidays; Acts as a point person for troubleshooting and problem solving; May function as the General Supervisor for selected duties when requested or in the absence of the Technical Manager/Technical Supervisor.
- Applies knowledge and skills to accurately perform all routine and complex laboratory procedures for which competency has been established and authorization to perform testing has been granted; Follows all lab pre-analytical, analytical, and post-analytical procedures covering specimen, analytical test system, and result reporting requirements.
- Assists the Supervisor in specified activities that ensure laboratory compliance with all accreditation agencies; Monitors, performs, and documents all Quality Control, maintenance, and calibration procedures according to established protocols and accreditation agency standards; Identifies issues/factors that adversely affect test performance; Performs method validations, linearity, and parallel studies on all laboratory instruments as assigned; Provides technical support to staff, physicians, and personnel to resolve any issues related to laboratory testing.
- Starts up, shuts down, and performs maintenance of lab equipment and instruments; When test system performance deviates from acceptable level, takes appropriate corrective action according to established procedures; Documents all corrective actions taken, including calling technical support; Immediately notifies Supervisor and/or Director if unable to resolve test system issue; Ensures test results are not reported until all corrective action has been taken and test system is performing within specifications; Investigates laboratory incident reports and documents the findings as per UPHS procedures.
- Participates in Proficiency Testing and ensures proficiency testing is performed in the same manner as patient specimens; Maintains compliance with Proficiency Testing policies; As directed by the Supervisor, maintains and updates laboratory policies, procedure manuals, and specified documents required for review by regulatory agencies; Ensures that all employees are kept up to date with these changes; Completes Compliance with Competency accreditation guidelines annually.
- Demonstrates initiative in continually improving departmental functioning, as well as personal knowledge, skills, and work experience. Displays willingness to adapt to changing department demands.
- Works well with Supervisors and those in authority; Works at establishing a good rapport and cooperative working relationship with all members of the laboratory; Maintains a positive rapport with medical staff and hospital personnel;
- As directed by the Supervisor, coordinates the training of new employees and teaches students;
- Maintains a clean, orderly and safe work area; Complies with Hospital, Laboratory, Safety, and HIPAA regulations; Notifies Supervisor when hazards are found; Completes mandatory in-services on or before the due date; Maintains inventory of supplies needed to keep the section in working order; Provides Supervisor with adequate notification when supplies need to be replenished; Participates in PI activities, including preparation of various CEQI reports for the area.
- Medical Lab Scientist ASCP (Required)
- Current MLS Certification by a minimum knowledge-based exam, such as the Board of Certification (ASCP) or equivalent, or 2 years of experience as a Medical Laboratory Scientist I
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- Bachelor's degree in Medical Laboratory Science or other biological or chemical science or U.S. equivalent (substantiated by foreign credential evaluation statement)
Broad knowledge of various laboratory methods and techniques, quality assurance, in addition to PC and LIS knowledge
- Master of Arts or Science
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE