Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Ambulatory Coding and Documentation Specialist
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 181773
Work Type: FT
Location: Bala Cynwyd, PA, United States
Work Schedule: 8:00AM-4:30PM, M-F | Hybrid
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Ambulatory Coding and Documentation Specialist reports to the Primary Care Service Line, Director of Quality with an affiliation with the ambulatory billing & compliance team. The primary objective of this position is to improve the accuracy of coding, compliance and clinical documentation. The Certified coder (CPC or CCS-P) is responsible for detailed analysis of out-patient medical record documentation to ensure appropriate and correct coding.
- Review and interpret patient medical record documentation (progress notes, operative reports, discharge summaries, charge documents) to determine services provided and identify pertinent diagnoses and procedures.
- Assigns ICD-10-CM, ICD-10-CM and CPT 4 codes accurately and timely to the highest level of specificity based upon physician documentation for ambulatory clinic visit records
- Maintain current knowledge of coding guidelines, reimbursement reporting requirements; educate staff and physicians in accurate data collection to ensure efficient and timely claim submission.
- Review secured authorizations and pre-billed claims as needed to ensure they adequately reflect the procedures preformed
- In partnership with coding colleagues, educate provider community through independent audit analysis to ensure knowledge and understanding of correct coding and documentation policies and procedures
- Identify payor related issues and report to management team.
- Work in coordination with other members of the Physicians' Billing & Compliance Office as necessary
- Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to influence continuous improvements in department's efficiency and services performed
- Take ownership of special projects and follow through with detailed action plans
- Assure consistent quality and cost effectiveness of daily operations through coordination with physicians, patients, process assessment, and review of financial reports generated EPIC.
- CCS or Certified Procedural Coder - CPC (AAPC) - (Required)
- RHIA, RHIT (Preferred)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor's Degree (Required); preferably in HIM, healthcare, or related field (Required)
- 2+ years of relevant coding medical professional services experience including ambulatory outpatient and risk adjustment coding (Required)
- Additional experience could be considered in lieu of degree.
Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from others
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff
- Knowledge of medical terminology, human anatomy and physiology, and clinical disease processes
- Detail-oriented, organized and flexible with exceptional interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrates coding skills and critical thinking skills utilizing current policies and procedures
- Understanding of both clinical and revenue cycle operations
- Advanced knowledge of and skill in applying International Classification of Diseases and Procedures (ICD), and Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) code sets and associated Medicare/Medicaid rules and guidelines.
- Ability to work well independently and productively with minimal guidance and supervision
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE