Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Title: Patient Services Coordinator
Organization: Coumadin Clinic Maps
Location: HUP - 3400 Spruce St
Hours: Monday through Friday 7:45 am until 4:15 pm
- The Patient Services Coordinator (PSC) assists the manager and/or physicians in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of high quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial/operational targets. In addition to performing the duties of a Patient Services Associate (check in/out, patient registration, appointment scheduling, referrals/pre-authorizations), the PSC will be expected to oversee the daily schedule and operations of an assigned area/group. The PSC serves as the APM expert and the liaison between staff and Managers/Physicians to ensure daily performance expectations are communicated and met. In the absence of the manager, the PSC may take on additional responsibilities.
- Coordinator Accountabilities:
- Ensure self and assigned area(s) are compliant with all applicable federal, state, and local regulatory standards (ex TJC, DOH, FDA, HIPAA, etc)
- Manage the day-to-day planning, operations and problem solving for assigned areas – ensure daily schedule, staffing needs, and performance metrics are met. Communicates changes appropriately.
- Develops and maintains APM templates and master schedules
- Oversight of AHIQA. Runs regular financial reports and works towards reconciliation. Resolves work queues and/or issues from front-end reports. Proactively prioritizes recovery of missing charges.
- Generates/runs reports to monitor and coach real-time performance against pre-established expectations/metrics. May be responsible for gathering information for performance reviews.
- Act as the communication link between the group he/she is leading, and management. Disseminates information to the group and forwards information back up to management.
- Effectively works with manager and providers to establish, implement, and maintain practice policies, procedures and efficient systems that support daily operations.
- Assists staff in resolving difficult patient situations or complaints
- Participates in the interviewing process and oversees the training of new hires.
- Perform surgery scheduling, as needed/required by the practice.
- May provide administrative support to physicians or manager(s).
- Patient Service Associate Responsibilities:
- Strives to understand and anticipate patient needs, manages service recovery efforts when needed, enlisting management assistance as appropriate, identifies opportunities to improve the patient experience.
- As per practice/department protocols and/or measurements: answer phones in a timely manner, manage/handle patient requests and route appropriately, retrieve voicemails in a timely manner, take accurate and thorough messages and route appropriately through EMR.
- Schedule patient appointments (on phone or in person) by determining reason for visit, following established schedules and protocols, using appropriate billing area/appointment location, communicating changes and confirming appointments, and, as needed, offering alternative and canceling/rescheduling appointments.
- Responsible for arriving/departing activities of patient at practice and performs point of service activities: collects copays and records accurately, obtains necessary signatures/forms, obtains insurance cards and referrals/authorizations, updates appointment status in EMR, and finalizes all check-out procedures.
- Communicates with patients regarding patient flow and wait times – keeps manager aware of potential issues as they arise.
- Issues referrals and obtains pre-authorizations for patients as required and as per protocol.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of insurance requirements pertinent to patient service and billing procedures: including basic knowledge of all managed care plans and which insurers require a copayment or referral.
- Validates patient demographic/insurance information and/or registers new patients into EMR using established protocols.
- Records receipts accurately to ensure end of day reconciliation; participates in cash reconciliation delineations.
- Resolves work queues and/or issues from front-end reports; proactively prioritizes recovery of missing charges.
- Orders supplies for the office and generates front-end process reports as requested.
- Access Center Accountabilities (if applicable):
- Coordinates clinical and administrative aspects of the new patient scheduling encounter.
- Perform within the expected outcome of the Automated Call Distribution (ACD) environment.
- Solves telephone issues and timely reports problems related to volume to manager. Follow established downtime procedures for registration
- As needed: assist with coverage of POS and Pre-Processing Areas, create/mail new patient packets, appointment ‘bumping’, wait list scheduling, resource scheduling, and team scheduling.
Must successfully complete/pass EMR training/tests.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 3+ years Medical office experience (Required)
- Advanced degree (Associate's, Bachelor's, Master's) may be considered in lieu of experience.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.