Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
121040 Patient Services Coordinator
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 180187
Category: Customer Service/Patient Access
Work Type: FT
Location: Radnor, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 10, 2023
Work Schedule: Variable
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Patient Services Coordinator (PSC) within CPUP Neurology assists the manager and/or physicians in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of high quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial/operational targets. In addition to performing the duties of a Patient Services Associate (check in/out, patient registration, appointment scheduling, referrals/pre-authorizations), the PSC will be expected to oversee the daily schedule and operations of an assigned area/group. The PSC serves as the APM expert and the liaison between staff and Managers/Physicians to ensure daily performance expectations are communicated and met. In the absence of the manager, the PSC may take on additional responsibilities.
- Patient/Customer Service Accountabilities:
- Greets and interacts with patients in a positive, pleasant and professional manner, whether on phone or in person.
- Listens carefully and communicates clearly with patients to ensure understanding of patient’s request. Analyzes problems from the customer’s point of view.
- Learns/anticipates the individual patient/customer need(s) and does the best possible job of satisfying those needs using the best solutions that are responsive to those need(s). Documents needs, as appropriate, in EPIC.
- Establishes positive relationships with patients by demonstrating knowledge of patient history with practice, treating them with compassion, and responding to their individual needs.
- Handles stressful patient/customer situations appropriately.
- Delivers seamless patient/customer service and provides recovery for lapses in service as needed.
- Ensure patient/family confidentiality, respect, safety, and security.
- Identifies opportunities to improve the patient experience, including areas identified in patient satisfaction surveys. Provides comments and feedback to management team to maintain and improve quality of service.
- Supports team, as required or needed based on daily workloads, by assisting with work processes that fall outside of their assigned role. Asks questions if/when uncertain about something.
- Ensures communication and collaboration with clinical staff and fellow co-workers to serve patients to the best of his/her ability.
- Shows initiative, sets priorities, organizes tasks, and works independently and as part of a team while completing daily tasks.
- Coordinator Accountabilities:
- Ensures self and assigned area(s) are compliant with all applicable federal, state, and local regulatory standards (ex TJC, DOH, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW, LCGME, SCGME)
- Manages the day-to-day planning, operations and problem solving for assigned areas – ensure daily schedule and performance metrics are met.
- Develops and maintains APM templates and master schedules
- Maintains oversight of AHIQA. Runs regular financial reports and works towards reconciliation. Resolves APM financial work queues and/or issues from front-end reports which may include the patient pre & post visit, charge review, and others as requested. Proactively prioritizes recovery of missing charges.
- Performs surgery scheduling, as needed/required by the practice.
- Communicates schedule changes with Physicians, Managers and Staff
- Effectively works with manager and providers to establish, implement, and maintain practice policies, procedures and efficient systems that support daily operations.
- Tracks and submits ideas or solutions for various issues based on observations/analysis.
- Assists staff in resolving difficult patient situations or complaints
- May provide administrative support to physicians or manager(s).
- Front Desk Accountabilities:
- Takes accountability for ensuring patient/work areas are neat and clean.
- Orders supplies, as requested, for practice/department.
- As per practice/department protocols and/or measurements: answer phones in a timely manner, manage/handle patient requests and route appropriately, retrieve voicemails in a timely manner, take accurate/thorough messages and route appropriately through EPIC.
- Schedule patient appointments (on phone or in person) accurately and completely: determines reason for visit, utilizes knowledge of schedules and protocols, uses proper billing area/appointment location, offers alternatives if desired provider/location/time unavailable, cancels/reschedules appointments as needed, communicates changes to patient and confirms appointments.
- If scheduling patients via telephone, reminds patient what to bring to appointment (insurance card, test results, referrals, etc.). Encourages patients, as appropriate, to sign up for My Penn Medicine.
- Is responsible for arriving/departing activities of patient at practice and performs point of service activities: collects copays and records accurately, obtains necessary signatures/forms, obtains insurance cards, referrals/authorizations as required and updates EPIC accordingly, changes appointment status in EPIC as per protocol, finalizes all check-out procedures as per practice protocol.
- Communicates with patients regarding patient flow and wait times – keeps manager aware of potential issues as they arise.
- Issues referrals and obtains pre-authorizations for patients as required and as per protocol.
- Successfully navigates and resolves EPIC work queues – escalate as needed.
- Maintains up to date knowledge of insurance requirements pertinent to patient service and billing procedures: including basic knowledge of all managed care plans UPHS participates with and which insurers require a copayment or referral.
- Achieves proficiency in automated systems; such as EPIC APM and EMR (including inbasket), hospital based EMRs (where necessary), Navinet, credit card machines, IPayment, etc.
- Validates patient demographic/insurance information and/or registers new patients into EPIC using established protocols: validates financial responsibility prior to service utilization, completes an accurate financial interview at time of registration, verifies insurance and copies both sides of card into chart.
- Records receipts according to practice protocol so as to ensure appropriate end of day reconciliation. Participates in cash reconciliation delineations.
- Complies with educational and training requirements at prescribed intervals (via Knowledge Link and/or other methods as required).
- Is flexible and readily adopts new processes and is engaged in practice operation changes.
- May be required to perform other PSA-related duties as requested or assigned.
- Access Accountabilities:
- Coordinates clinical and administrative aspects of the new patient scheduling encounter.
- Performs within the expected outcome of the Automated Call Distribution (ACD) environment
- Maintains predetermined standards of telephone activity and measurements
- Solves telephone issues as appropriate and timely reports problems related to telephone volume and performance to manager
- Follows established downtime procedures for registration
- As needed: assist with coverage of POS and Pre-Processing Areas, create/mail new patient packets, appointment ‘bumping’, wait list scheduling, resource scheduling, and team scheduling.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Associate of Arts or Science (Required)
- 3-5 Years of Medical Office Experience
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- College Degree (2 or 4 year degree)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE