Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Patient Services Associate (Princeton)
Job ID: 180131
Work Type: FT
Location: Plainsboro, NJ, United States
Date Posted: May 10, 2023
Work Schedule: FT
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Cardiac and Pulmonary Rehab Unit - Day Shift
- • The Patient Services Associate (PSA) assists the outpatient sites/departments in the maintaining a strong patient/customer focus, support the delivery of highest quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer-centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial and operational targets.
- The PAS is responsible for the scheduling and back end charging activates of patients in the practice, managing and handling local site physician call related to scheduling, coordinating patient appointments, updating patient insurance/billing information, and performing all back end charging activities. The PSA function in a central environment. Rotation between PSA functions and/or departments may be required.
- Patient Services:
- Takes accountability for ensuring patient schedules are built timely. Per department protocol and/or measurements: answer phones in a timely manner, manage/handles patient requests and route appropriately and completely:
- Utilizes knowledge of schedule and protocols
- Uses proper billing area/appointment location
- Cancels/rescheduled appointments as needed
- Communicates changes to local site/transportation/admissions
- Maintains SQL reports as assigned to support scheduling and revenue cycle
- Communicates with local site regarding patient flow, keeps manager aware of potential issues as they arise
- Links referrals for patients as required and as per protocol
- Successfully navigates and resolve EPIC work queues-escalate as needed
- Coordinate with central admission, transportation, Utilization Management departments as needed
- Maintains up to date knowledge of insurance requirements pertinent to patient services and billing procedures: Including basic knowledge of all managed care plans
- Achieves proficiency in automated system: such as EPIC (including in basket), Navinet and SQL
- Validates patient demographic/insurance information and/or registers new patients into EPIC using established protocols
- Ensures appropriate HAR is assigned to registration/insurance
- Generates/runs reports, as requested, related to front-end processes
- Resolve work queues and/or issues from front-end reports which may include the patient pre & post visit, charge review, and others as requested. Proactively prioritizes recovery of missing charges.
- Resolve queues related to CFB, denial management and charge review
- Enters PB & HB back end charges (BEC) for outpatient sites
- Coordinates with financial administrative team to ensure clean billing processes
- Strives to create and maintain a culture of safety and service excellence through the following accountabilities:
- Greets and interacts with physicians and clinical staff in a positive, pleasant and professional manner whether on phone or in person
- Listens carefully and communicates clearly with physicians and clinical staff to ensure understanding of patient’s request. Analyzes problems form the customer’s point of view
- Learns/anticipates the individual need(s) and does the best possible job of satisfying those needs using the best solutions that re responsive to their need(s). Documents needs, as appropriate in EPIC
- Establishes positive relationships with local site be demonstrating knowledge of patient history with practice, treating them with compassion, and responding to their individual needs
- Handles stressful situations appropriately
- Delivers seamless patient/customer service and provides recovery for lapses in service as needed
- Ensures patient. Family confidentially, respect, safety, and security
- Strives to understand and value differences in others’ race, gender, nationality, and age-modifies interactions as needed to accommodate divers needs of the patient/family. Displays age-appropriate competencies for the patient populations served
- Identifies opportunities to improve the patient experience, including areas identified in patient satisfaction surveys. Provides comments and feedback to management team to maintain and improve quality of services
- Participates in Entity and Department wide initiatives for Patent/Employee safety
- Demonstrates an awareness of patient/employee safety when carrying out daily responsibilities of their position
- Supports team, as required or needed based on daily workloads, by assisting with work processes that fall outside of their assigned role. Asks questions if/when uncertain about something
- Ensures communication and collaboration with clinical staff and fellow co-workers to server patients to the best of his/her ability
- Shows initiative, sets priorities, organizes tasks, and works independently and as part of a team while completing daily tasks
- Perform other duties as requested or assigned.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- High School Graduate/GED/Equivalent Work Exp.: required
2-3 years of medical experience preferred, or 4 years customer service experience required.
Thorough knowledge of third party insurance coverage guidelines preferred.
Advanced degree may be considered in lieu of experience.
- Bachelor of Arts or Science preferred
- Bachelor’s Degree preferred
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE