Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
PRN Surgical Care Assistant, per diem
Job ID: 182337
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 10, 2023
Work Schedule: Per Diem
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
General Summary Statement
Provided excellent customer service skills to surgical patients and their families. Assumes responsibility for providing safe and efficient transportation of the surgical patient. Provides support service to the surgical team with environmental cleaning, supply & equipment procurement. Assists with positioning and skin preps of the surgical patients. Delivers specimens to the pathology department or the lab-receiving desk. Under the direction of an anesthesia provider, supports the anesthesia staff. Provides patient care under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Patient Care Responsibilities
- Provides age appropriate care for the patient population served. For example, gives consideration to growth & developmental phase of life, to age related factors such as thermal regulation, nutrition, safety and functional needs of the patient.
- Uses appropriate resources for patients with special needs such as language barriers, sensory problems, altered cognition, cultural and religious needs.
- Integrates principles of infection control & infection prevention into practice.
- Uses standard precautions and uses personal protective equipment.
- Washes hands in accordance with infection Control Standards.
- Demonstrates a cheerful friendly manner while on duty.
- Interacts with the patient in a manner that preserves patient dignity, privacy, and meets psychosocial needs of the patient.
- Positions patients correctly, aligns and supports torso and limbs as directed and per patient comfort.
- Transports patients via stretcher or wheelchair using safety measures appropriate for patient and vehicle.
- Ensures proper patient identification with the patient ID bracelet in place. Checks ID bracelet, asks patients name and date of birth and initials ACC Admission preprocedure record or the Pre op checklist for floor patients.
- Uses proper body mechanics when transferring patient, using equipment and performing job responsibilities.
- Anticipates the need for equipment and supplies during the day, acquires the equipment for cases and decontaminates and stores equipment post operatively.
- Assists nursing staff with proper setup of patient care equipment, i.e. video carts, fracture table, shoulder equipment, urology table, etc.
- Reports any malfunctions of equipment to supervisory staff.
- Assists circulating nurse with positioning and /or prepping of patient.
- Performs QA on the labeling and documentation of specimens. Delivers the specimens to the designated lab areas in the required time frame. Obtains blood from the blood bank and delivers to designated patient in OR as needed.
- Follows established protocols for between case cleaning and decontamination of OR’s. Maintains clean, neat adjoining areas of the OR suite, i.e. sub-sterile room, storage areas and lounges
- Verifies/stocks warmers with solutions and blankets.
- Proper handling, documentation and transport of surgical specimens to the Laboratory in accordance the Specimen handling Policy and Procedures.
- Checks daily par levels of scrub brushes, masks, protective eyewear, mops, cleaning supplies, trash bags etc. Restocks as needed.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE