Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Perioperative Assistant - PACU @ Hospital Of University of Pennsylvania
Job ID: 182746
Category: Clinical Support
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 10, 2023
Work Schedule: 10a- 6p
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- As a member of the Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology, the primary purpose of this position is to prepare the surgical suite at the HUP RSF for the patient's procedure and assist the operating room surgical team with patient care while projecting a positive image of Penn Medicine through the delivery of competent care, excellent communication and customer service to ensure an excellent experience. To provide ancillary assistance to anesthesia. Travel to off-site practices may be required.
- Provide ancillary assistance to the surgical team with IVF and gynecologic procedures.
- Assist patients, including emergency and handicapped patients.
- Maintain daily supply inventory and restock accordingly with established par levels including but not limited to the following areas: Maintain daily supply inventory of IV fluids and irrigation fluids in warming cabinet, maintain a daily supply of blankets in a warming cabinet, restock scrub sink area, stock supplies in OR’s, clean room and soiled utility.
- Communicates when stock supplies are low.
- Set up and break down equipment needed for ORs. Provides environmental services/room turnover between cases and at the end of the day.
- Cleans/disinfects operating rooms, changing rooms, and post-op litters/recliner chairs in the recovery room between patient procedures with exposure to blood and bodily fluids, changes linen, and disposes of waste. Completes OR cleaning logs.
- Disposes of contaminated materials in accordance with infection control policy.
- Transports trash to the EVS room and soiled linens to the soiled holding room.
- Keeps OR equipment clean and ready to use. Can identify faulty equipment and follow protocol for reporting it. Ensures proper storage of equipment.
- Follows principles of aseptic and sterile techniques.
- Prepares the operating rooms for IVF and gynecologic procedures.
- Demonstrates ability to deliver proper and safe care to patients under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse, CRNA, and/or Physician. Assists with transferring patients to and from the surgical suite to the recovery room.
- Prepares instruments for cleaning and processing.
- Cleans contaminated instruments and prepares them for transport to HUP for sterilization.
- Keeps hallways and overall appearance of OR neat, clean, free of clutter, and in compliance with State and TJC guidelines. Assures that equipment is not blocking fire doors and oxygen shut-off valves.
- Scans all documents into patient EMR charts and covers all clerical duties as needed for the operational excellence of the department.
- Assists with TJC survey preparation of unit to ensure successful licensing survey.
- Participate in unit-based and entity-sponsored CEQI initiatives and staff development opportunities.
- Maintains patient nutrition refrigerator logs.
- Performs and records daily environmental of care quality controls, reporting deviations to management.
- Cleans, decontaminates, and performs high-level disinfection of ultrasound probes during and at the end of the working day. Ensures availability of all necessary ultrasound probes and supplies for the ultrasound machines. Differentiates between the need for high-level disinfection and sterilizing of equipment.
- Appropriately manages internal/external communication with staff, physicians, patients, and families: demonstrates the ability to interact effectively with patients, visitors, and all level of HUP RSF personnel, shows courtesy, compassion, sensitivity, and respect, can communicate identified problems to the appropriate personnel and will seek guidance in areas of uncertainty.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Medical Assistant school OR from an Allied Health Curriculum
1+ years perioperative experience
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE