Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Lead MRI Tech- Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Job ID: 171930
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 11, 2023
Work Schedule: FT, 36 hours per week
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania is seeking a Full-time, Lead MRI Tech!
The essential functions of the position include but are not limited to:
- Operate MRI scanner, all RF coils, MRI workstations, laser cameras, film processors, patient monitoring equipment, MR injectors.
- Prepare magnet room, maintain cleanliness of area.
- Assist patients in understanding procedures, screen for Biomedical and metallic implants; ask pertinent questions regarding medical history, change all patients into dressing gowns.
- Facilitates patient safety and comfort during procedures; explains procedures to patient and answers all questions prior to exam; provides arm rests, knee pads, pillows, security belts and additional blankets. Reviews patient identification and patient history prior to exam. Monitor patients in scan room during examination.
- Stock supplies and maintain equipment as needed.
- Assist changing patients into dressing gown
- Archive and verify MRI images via EHS system call Pennchart as needed.
- Perform proper procedures and protocols for various studies done in the section.
- Maintains and provides annual registry certification from ARRT, maintain all mandatory in-services and CPR as required by TJC.
- Serve as liaison with referring physicians and patients to assist in scheduling exams; expedite patient studies as needed.
- Knows, understands and can demonstrate proper IV skills. Successfully performs venipuncture procedures; selects appropriate needle gauge considering patient age, skin condition, positioning, cognition. Monitors site according to policy: vessicants, non-vessicants, documentation.; inject IV MRI contrast agents as directed by the Radiologist.
- Communicate equipment problems and image quality issues.
- Obtain consent forms as needed.
- Read all staff notes; attend section and quarterly meetings; keep abreast of all changes within the Department.
The marginal functions of the position include but are not limited to:
- Schedules patients, and pages hospital personnel.
- Answers telephone and responds to requests for information and reports.
- Occasionally transports patients, confirms patient appointments as needed.
- Performs other routine job related duties in area of responsibility that may be assigned.
Machines, Tools and Equipment Operated:
- Imaging magnet Siemens 1.5T system, Radiofrequency coils, Patient monitoring equipment, archiving equipment, laser cameras, injectors, Radiology Pennchart system, and workstations.
Initiative, Judgment and Creative Ability:
- The technologist must exercise initiative and judgment in implementing scanning techniques as they are developed.
- They must be flexible and able to accommodate frequent changes in procedures as they are developed.
- Must be accommodating and understanding of frequent scheduling changes and delays.
Mental, Visual and Hearing Demand:
- The Technologist must have normal or corrected to normal vision and hearing in order to effectively care for patients.
- The incumbent is responsible for monitoring the supplies used and reporting them to the technologists in charge of supplies.
- The technologist must enter all pertinent data to PENNCHART for patient billing.
Reports to manager any unresolved concerns with staffing, scheduling, employee relations, work methods, procedures, safety, and other actions in the department.
Reports and Records:
- Maintain record of patient examinations, optical disk archiving, and PACS.
The technologist is responsible for keeping all information confidential as under HIPAA guidelines and hospital policy.
- The technologist will be involved with patients and families, physicians, nurses and other hospital personnel. This includes visitors from various hospitals and countries.
- Pleasant surroundings of physical plant. Can be mentally stressful at times.
Health and Hazards:
- There is possible exposure to patient illness. This includes possible mechanical hazards due to manipulation of MRI equipment.
Minimum Job Requirements:
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Completion of an approved school of Radiologic Technology with certification by ARRT.
- Knowledge of cross-sectional anatomy and MRI scanning preferred.
- Must be MRI certified with ARRT within one year of hire date.
- AHA CPR within 6 months of hire.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE