Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Genetic Counseling Assistant- Part time
Job ID: 181234
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 11, 2023
Work Schedule: Days
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Division of Translational Medicine and Human Genetics is seeking to hire a genetic counseling assistant. Our division consists of clinical geneticists, genetic counselors, clinical coordinators, a nurse and a nurse practitioner who care for patients in a variety of clinics. We specialize in caring for adults with lysosomal storage disorders, neurofibromatosis type 1, general genetic disorders, aortopathies, HHT and rare cancer syndromes. This position will focus in part on supporting the Hereditary Hemorrhagic Telangiectasia (HHT) Center of Excellence, including registry data entry and care coordination between different specialties. It’s an exciting time to work in our group as we continue to grow and develop new opportunities!
Learn more about our group at our website: https://www.pennmedicine.org/departments-and-centers/department-of-medicine/divisions/translational-medicine-human-genetics
- The genetic counseling assistant (GCA) will be responsible for higher level administrative tasks to support genetic counseling efforts. This may include tasks such as coordinating patient appointments, preparing patient charts, tracking the status of genetic test results, and drafting results letters. They will also answer basic patient inquiries with respect to genetic counseling questions. Additionally, the GCA will support efforts of the division, including updating literature reviews, maintenance of databases and research support. He or she will improve flow and efficiency within the clinical practice by working with the Patient Service Associates/Patient Service Coordinators to coordinate and prepare for patient appointments. He or she will provide other administrative support as needed.
- Specifically, the Genetic Counseling Assistant will support staff, e.g. Genetic Counselors and Physicians, with clinical and administrative tasks as needed towards maintaining a high level of Patient Centered Care/research protocols. Such duties may include but are not limited to:
- Administrative support
- Answering telephone inquiries and acting as a liaison between genetic counselors and patients
- Triage patient inquiries and referrals under the supervision of a genetic counselor
- Obtaining medical records for appointments
- Scanning medical records into patient charts
- Clinical support
- Abstracting medical records for patient appointments
- Transporting, packaging and shipping specimens for testing
- Tracking testing status, alerting the providers to delays, coordinating additional specimen collection as needed
- Facilitating patient follow-up
- Performing duties as a scribe
- Supporting the mission of the Division
- Research involvement: Obtaining consent from patients to participate in research studies
- Creating and maintaining databases
- Performing literature reviews to inform best genetic practices
- Participating in family educational programs
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- Relevant to medical/scientific field
0-1 years Preference given to candidates pursuing or looking to pursue a Master’s degree in the field of Genetic Counseling
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE