Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Social Worker- HUP Inpatient Palliative Care- Full-Time
Job ID: 182293
Category: Social Work
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 15, 2023
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Responsible for providing and documenting individualized, person-centered psychosocial assessment, advance care planning, and ongoing emotional support for individuals with serious illnesses and their families within an acute care hospital setting. As part of an interdisciplinary consultative palliative care team, the social worker collaborates with members of their own team plus interdisciplinary members of various other medical teams caring for the patient during their hospitalization. The palliative care social worker helps to ensure continuity of care and a medical care plan and discharge plan that are both in alignment with the patient and family goals of care. Professional activities will be carried out in accordance with the code of ethics established by the National Association of Social Workers.
- Work collaboratively with an interdisciplinary palliative care consultation service team of physicians, advance practice providers, chaplains, and other learners to provide supportive care to patients with serious illnesses and their families.
- Effectively communicate and coordinate with interdisciplinary members of various other medical teams caring for palliative care patients in order to ensure continuity of care.
- Complete psychosocial assessments with focus on patient and families level of coping with serious illness and advance care planning.
- Provide ongoing emotional support and psychoeducation to patients and families in coping with disease progression death/dying process.
- Provide psychoeducation to patients and families regarding advance care planning and help facilitate completion of advance directive documents when appropriate.
- Facilitate and co-facilitate family meetings to identity and address goals of care.
- Document in electronic medical record in a timely manner utilizing appropriate palliative care psychosocial assessment and advance care planning templates.
- Maintain relationships with palliative care and hospice community agencies and keep up-to-date on relative resources and laws regarding advance care planning.
- Plan, facilitate, and participate in palliative care educational programs for interdisciplinary staff both within the hospital and across the health system.
- Use effective interpersonal skills in all interactions.
- Participant in ongoing professional development and maintain formal and informal continuing education for self-improvement.
- Supervise BSW and MSW student interns.
- Perform duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master's Degree in Social Work
- Preferred 5 years' experience in palliative care, hospice, oncology, etc.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE