Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Department of the Physical Plant at the Hospital University of Pennsylvania is seeking a Full-Time Plant Operator Apprentice:
Responsible for maintenance, installation and repair of commercial / industrial HVAC systems and HVAC & Boiler equipment under the direction of the HVAC Shop Leaders and the department's Plant Operators and Refrigeration Mechanics. Responsible for testing and performing preventive maintenance on HVAC & Boiler related equipment. When needed, is to work with 3-phase Electric and be able to troubleshoot electrical control circuits. Provides assistance with other craftspeople as assigned.
Apprentices will assist in the following tasks, but must be able to work independently once individual work tasks are mastered:
- Operates, monitors, troubleshoots, repairs and performance preventive maintenance on all mechanical systems and their components throughout the Hospital
- This includes HVAC systems, medical gas systems, centrifugal chillers, cooling towers and industrial/commercial mechanical pumps
- Troubleshoot and repair pneumatic and electrical control systems
- Operate and maintain the building automation system (BAS)
- Start, stop, adjust, disconnect, change, reconnect and align motors, pumps, compressors, fans, etc
- Change filters, belts, bearings, seals, packing and sheaves
- Maintains mechanical rooms and equipment in good, clean and neat conditions
- Monitors water treatment systems, maintains and cleans cooling towers and assists in air balancing procedures
- Works with blueprints and schematic designs
- Performs multi-skilled work as assigned
- Performs other related duties as assigned
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Participation in the Local 835 International Union of Operating Engineers apprenticeship program for four years (Required)
- Employee must earn an Engineer’s (A) License and a CFC license for handling low tonnage (chillers) cooling equipment by the end of the Apprenticeship Program (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.