Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Specialty Pharmacy Technician Ambulatory - Pennsylvania Hospital
Job ID: 182551
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 16, 2023
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Specialty Pharmacy Technician drives overall customer service for the patients of the Penn Specialty Pharmacy. Performs benefits investigation and processes prescriptions. Performs refill adherence calls to ensure patients are compliant with ongoing therapy. Assists with dispensing and delivery functions to ensure timely access of patients' medications. Completes inventory management functions to ensure that the pharmacy can meet the patient needs.
- Communicate and maintain excellent working relationships with referring physicians and their staff.
- Maintain each specialty service line for refill adherence. Must update the list weekly and maintain accurate information on outreach calls to the patient.
- Document in EMR according to URAC (Utilization Review Accreditation Commission) and ACHC (Accreditation Commission for Health Care) to maintain accreditation.
- Provide follow-up for communication to patients, clinical practices, and family for pharmaceutical needs and/or additional eligibility information to ensure on-going medication access.
- Work with prior authorization department at HUP for projects required by URAC & ACHC to focus on patient care and process improvement.
- All documentation must be in the EMR and routed to the appropriate parties.
- Analyzing patient need based on conversation to have patient speak to the office or pharmacist as needed.
- Provides education to patients and clinical practices regarding patient’s insurance coverage as it relates to their specialty medications.
- Obtain copay assistance utilizing drug company copay resource programs as needed. Working with team to adjust the requirements for cold chain shipping based on daily temperature.
- Work with clinical pharmacists to identify patients who are non-adherent and refers to clinical pharmacist.
- Under the supervision of a Registered Pharmacist; process newly approved medications and refill prescriptions through labeling, dispensing, and delivery to the patient in compliance with all legal, regulatory, accreditation and safety requirements. Deliver medications to clinic as needed.
- Technician certification (CPhT) required at time of hire or within 6 months of hire (PTCB)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Associate of Arts or Science and 5+ years High volume Specialty Pharmacy Program preferred.
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 3+ years High prescription retail/chain volume experience with a working knowledge of third party insurance plans required.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE