Job ID: 183645
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 16, 2023
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Clinical Pharmacy Specialist - Ambulatory Care develops and coordinates pharmacy services in primary care, provides patient and population care management within a interdisciplinary team, contributes to quality improvement activities, promotes the safe, effective and cost-effective use of medications within the clinic. Patient care responsibilities: comprehensive medication management and medication review for high risk patients, interdisciplinary referrals for individualized medication and/or disease management and provider group-based medication management, both transitional care management and longitudinal care management services.
• Reviews patient profiles for appropriate drug therapy, contacting Providers to optimize therapy.
• Evaluates patient’s age, height, weight, pregnancy and lactation status, renal and liver function, therapeutic serum
medication concentrations, to determine appropriate drug dosage regimen.
• Documents interventions, cost avoidance initiatives or drug information inquiries appropriately.
• Completes assignments in a timely fashion, including prompt response to provider/care management referrals.
• Provides comprehensive medication management and medication reconciliation for patients as requested by the care
management or prescribing staff or if indicated by clinical judgment
• Assists in transitional care management between the acute and ambulatory care setting.
• Assists with longitudinal care management and chronic disease state management: including designing, implementing and
coordinating medication care plans for patients on an on-going basis.
• Monitors medication therapy to evaluate appropriateness of use, dose, dosage form, regimen, route, therapeutic
duplication, and drug interactions.
• Develops, implements and coordinates patient drug therapy, educational programs for department Staff and is a
Pharmacotherapy specialty resource for the Providers, Care Management and Practice Staff.
• Provides information to the medical, pharmacy and nursing staff to ensure optimal drug usage, provides recommendations to
improve therapy, advises physicians on appropriate drug therapy.
• Collaborates with the multidisciplinary team to support clinical outcome metrics
• Responsible for precepting pharmacy students and pharmacy residents completing ambulatory care rotations.
• Ensures compliance with all state, Joint Commission (Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Health Care Organizations)
and OSHA (Occupational, Safety, and Health Administration) regulations in terms of medication management both within the
pharmacy and assigned patient care unit.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Bachelor's Degree in Pharmacy from an accredited College of Pharmacy
- Candidates must be willing to travel to clinical centers located in Philadelphia/ Greater Philadelphia and New Jersey based on the needs of the department.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.