Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Financial Clearance Coordinator
Job ID: 182217
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 17, 2023
Work Schedule: 8hr Days
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Financial Clearance Coordinator is responsible to act as a revenue cycle expert and liaison between the practice operations, the practice pre-registration team and the patient financial advocates. This position reports to the Supervisor of Financial Clearance and is the subject matter expert for insurance issues on site and will collaborate repeatedly with the Hospital's Financial Counselors and Financial Advocate's to ensure the Health System is fully reimbursed from all potential financial resources. Utilizes appropriate resources to assist others in correctly verifying eligibility and benefits, determining the extent of coverage and securing pre-authorizations within a set time frame before scheduled appointments. Serves as point of contact for addressing account issues, patient concerns and billing insurance questions to the extent possible before escalating to department financial advocate.
This position is located in the Neurology Administrative Department.
- Ensures that practice coordinates the pre-registration process to include demographic and insurance verification and that authorization/pre-certifications are obtained per payer regulations and maintains accurate records of authorizations within the EHR
- Serves as point of contact for addressing account issues, patient concerns, or billing and insurance questions before they are escalated to a supervisor or manager
- Coordinates benefits by effectively determining primary, secondary, and tertiary liability when needed
- Connects patients with financial counselors when further explanation or education is needed regarding payment plans or financial assistance; may conduct some basic financial counseling duties as necessary
- Communicates liabilities directly to patients and provides education on key insurance terms and rules; may often handle patients with more complicated insurance plans (e.g., workers’ compensation)
- Demonstrates expert understanding of payer regulations and contracts and insurance terminology (e.g., co-payments, deductibles, allowances, etc.), and analyzes information received to determine patients’ out-of-pocket liabilities
- Complies with HIPAA regulations, maintaining confidentiality and utilizing information only as necessary to complete work, as well as adheres to all other federal, state, and organizational requirements
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Associate of Arts or Science
- Healthcare Administration or related field
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 5+ years Experience in insurance verification, revenue cycle functions, hospital/physician offices, or related areas
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE