This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 183475
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Day
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Surgery Outpatient Clinic is looking for a full-time Dietitian!!!!!
Responsible for the nutritional care of UPHS patients in the Penn Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Program. As a member of the team, coordinates the nutritional and clinical processes related to the surgical treatment of obesity. Takes leadership role in development and implementation of the surgical obesity program including; development of best practice nutrition protocols for surgical obesity, develops and provides comprehensive nutrition education programs for patients both individually and through support groups. Works collaboratively with physicians and other health care providers in the department of surgery and the Center for Weight and Eating Disorders. Functions as a professional consultant to the physician to assure cost-effective, high quality and current nutrition practices for this specialized patient population. Performs nutrition assessments, develops specialized nutrition care plans and performs ongoing reassessments of nutritional status and nutrition interventions. Maintains comprehensive knowledgebase in medical nutrition therapy with an emphasis in Surgical Obesity Management. Evaluates, interprets and applies result of research to practice and the delivery of patient care services. Participates in the development of research–based policies/procedure and practice guidelines. Is expected to participate in lectures or publications regarding specialized nutrition care within UPHS, local, state and national meetings. Development of nutrition education materials for the Bariatric Surgery Program. Provide individual nutrition counseling to adolescents and other patients as needed. Participate in medical weight management for patients prior to insurance approval of bariatric surgery. Precepts dietetic students and interns and acts as a mentor for these students as a subject matter expert in the area of bariatric nutrition.
Direct Patient Care
• Competently performs nutrition assessments, identifies nutrition diagnosis, develops nutrition interventions/plan of care, monitors and evaluates outcomes of nutrition care/interventions.
• Applies department evidence based practice guidelines to the routine care of patients.
• Communicates with the Health care team to effectively implement nutrition care plan.
• Demonstrates patient-centered care, compassion, sensitivity and respect in all interactions with patients, visitors and other hospital personnel.
• Demonstrates skills and knowledge necessary to assure that nutrition assessment, treatment and care is appropriate based on the unique chronological issues and needs of the adolescent, young adult, adult and older adult patient.
Professional Performance; competently performs the following:
• Provides quality services using a systematic process with identified ethics, leadership, accountability and dedicated resources.
• Demonstrates competence in and accepts accountability and responsibility for ensuring safe, quality practice and services.
• Provides safe, quality services based on patient expectations and needs and the mission, vision and values of the organization.
• Applies research to enhance practice. Demonstrates evidence-based practice which incorporates available research and information in the delivery of nutrition care
• Applies knowledge and expertise in communications.
• Uses resources effectively and efficiently. Demonstrates leadership through strategic management of time, finances, facilities, supplies, technology, natural and human resources.
• Displays a high level of professional conduct at all times.
• Balances patient care priorities and department and/or hospital required activities.
• Maintains patient/client confidentiality.
• Demonstrates teamwork by displaying a cooperative relationship with co-workers, consistently. treating others with respect and using open and honest communication.
• Provides patient education as a routine intervention, in specialized groups including support groups, group education classes if applicable to area of practice.
• May participate in patient related projects, workgroups individually or in partnership with specialist or advanced practice dietitians and/or manager or director.
• Participates in Quality assurance and performance improvement department initiatives.
• Retains Registration and licensure through attainment of continuing education. • Attends Clinical Nutrition Support Services education program.
• Is expected to serve as a preceptor for nutrition interns.
• Supports student shadowing experiences as requested.
• Participates in and completes initial and annual competency training required for the position.
• Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
• Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Education or Equivalent Experience:
Bachelor's Degree Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts degree. (Required)
Completion of an Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND) accredited didactic program in dietetics and 0-1 years/0 to 2 years related experience. (Required)
Accredited Dietetic Internship Program, Individualized Supervised Practice Pathway (ISPP) or integrated supervised practice training to meet accreditation standards. (Required)
Master's Degree EFFECTIVE only if initial date of registration (RD, or RDN) is after 1/1/2024. (Required)
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.