Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Nuclear Med Radiographer
Job ID: 183316
Work Type: FT
Location: Berwyn, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 18, 2023
Work Schedule: Day
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Penn Medicine Valley Forge is looking for a full-time Nuclear Med Tech for HUP Valley Forge PET!!!!
- Dose Calculations and Administration/Radiopharmacy
- Prepare appropriate radiopharmaceuticals for use following procedure manual and record necessary data in computer for dose calculations
- Receive, open, log and check in all incoming packages and enter into the computer system
- Calculate, dispense and administer radiopharmaceuticals to patients undergoing procedures in Nuclear Medicine. Verify patient identity by at least name and date of birth. Record all data into computer system.
- Follow NRC, State and TJC when dealing with all radioactive material used in Nuclear Medicine.
- Imaging Procedures
- Executes research PET/CT scanning procedures performed at HUP.
- Explains and answers questions to patients having procedures done in Nuclear Medicine
- Visually checks to see that patient and all necessary patient records are present in Nuclear Medicine
- Places the patient on the imaging table and explains the necessary, positioning, instrumentation, and time to complete testing to the patient.
- Performs dynamic or static PET/CT imaging procedures on patient in accordance to procedure manual, develops and processes study to be reviewed by Nuclear Medicine staff or Fellows.
- Observes patients for changes and can initiate CPR as necessary
- Checks quality of images and checks QC on instruments to ensure that quality images are obtained.
- Communicates with physician as to patient’s studies and communicates results to designated hospital personnel where indicated
- Enters patient data into RIS to ensure that patient information is correct.
- Instructs students of radiology or nuclear medicine where indicated
- Maintains neat and clean work area and replaces supplies and/or equipment, prior to each examination and rotation.
- Performs complex Positron Emission Tomography examinations, attenuation scans, and reconstructions utilizing a dedicated PET/CT scanner
- Develops new PET/CT examinations; creates written protocols and scanning parameters.
- Completes technical site qualification forms and image data transmittal forms required for research studies.
- Trains others to perform PET/CT functions related to research studies
- Operates imaging equipment and related computer systems along with support equipment
- Perform QC procedures on equipment and can troubleshoot minor problems prior to reporting them to first line supervisor
- Records and maintains standard imaging logs and records to conform to TJC and State and NRC regulations
- Checks operation and calibration of survey equipment and monitoring devices against known standards
- Reports to first line supervisor any problems with imaging or survey equipment
- Process acquired PET data to generate necessary reconstructed images.
- Non-Imaging Procedures
- Operates all laboratory auxiliary equipment for routine laboratory procedures
- Performs venipuncture, separates and labels blood components
- Prepares samples for counting and stores waste by-products in safe area.
- Does QC procedures on all laboratory equipment
- Reviews new research protocols to hel determine scanning procedures
- Assists the PET Center Administrative Director in the preparation of protocol-specific documentation for PET Center research studies
- Radiation Safety
- Receives and checks all incoming radionuclide shipments for contamination according to State and NRC regulations
- Disposes of radioactivity and contamination in accordance with RSO and State and NRC regulations, recording all radioactive waste storage and disposals properly
- Has knowledge of and uses appropriate instrumentation or other devices, monitors to insure that levels of radiation do not exceed those defined under the ALARA concept, and Federal/State agencies.
- Provides a safe environment for patient studies to ensure that patient exposure is in line with ALARA concept
- Develops and reviews guidelines for the use of high energy PET radiopharmaceuticals insuring standards of radiation safety
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- ARRT or NMT or NMTCB or RT (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- Experience in nuclear medicine research studies 3+ years PET/CT experience preferred
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 3+ years PET/CT experience Certification and/or registry in Nuclear Medicine Completion of an AMA approved Nuclear Medicine program
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE