Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Director Materials Mgmt and Value Analysis - Pennsylvania Hospital
Job ID: 184079
Category: Materials Management/Purchasing/Contracts Management
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 18, 2023
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Director of Materials Management & Value Analysis reports to the Chief Financial Officer and is primarily responsible for overseeing the duties as outlined for the Materials Management Department and product Value Analysis.
- Materials Management Responsibilities: Oversee the operations of the Hospital Storeroom, Receiving, OR Materials Management and Mailroom operations. Insure an uninterrupted supply of goods to both clinical and Non-clinical customers on the PAH campus and PAH satellite locations. Assist Nursing and Medical Staff with product selection and procurement. Participate in Product Standards, Value Analysis, and Environment of Care Committees, Infection Control and Patient Safety committees. Primary Liaison with UPHS corporate Materials Management and VP.
- Works independently to complete all assigned tasks and duties within the established departmental guidelines. Will be required to prioritize fluctuating workload and time-lines to meet the demands of the position. Will also be required to problem solve normal/routine situations and to understand the political environment to know when to seek assistance of management. These activities are conducted while maintaining and/or improving the quality of care provided to patients.
- Value Analysis Responsibilities: Co-chair with Physician leader and CFO, performs all duties related to, but not limited to directing the Pennsylvania Hospital Value Analysis Program such as cost-effective utilization of products, support of Value Analysis objectives, management of data, coordination of product and purchased service evaluation processes, coordinates and assists in the education processes regarding value analysis, participates as a member/chair/co-chair of any related committees
- High-level management of Materials Management Department overseeing Peri-Op Materials, hospital Storeroom, Linen, Equipment Distribution, Receiving and Mail Room. Ensure Pennsylvania Hospitals best interests are upheld in all aspects of materials, supplies and services management.
- Oversee the value analysis and new technology process including establishing inpatient, outpatient cost of stay/visit and procedure cost analysis. Understand insurance reimbursement in Philadelphia market and variances to cost per case or patient stay.
- Coordinate product and purchased service evaluations including ethical aspects of bid management and financial analysis. Manage all vendor performances, including compliance with all Pennsylvania Hospital policies and procedures. Ensure Materials Team compliance with all Penn Medicine requirements, Policies and Procedures, Corporate Contractual Compliances and that of the FDA, Department of Health, State and All Other Regularity Bodies.
- Lead collaborative work with hospital and corporate purchasing and neighboring Penn Medicine entities. Oversee appropriate supply and equipment life cycle management.
- Participate as a senior leader in entity and department wide initiatives including Infection Prevention, Environment of Care and Workplace Safety.
- Serve as liaison between the hospital and medical staff to ensure cost-effective utilization of products, including but not limited to all medical supplies, surgical supplies, capital equipment, services and technology assessment.
- Apply advanced knowledge and clinical awareness to identify product and services that can be standardized, modified/or eliminated to increase operational efficiencies/reduce cost. Provide expert opinion for all hospital departments purchases and management of supplies. Reviews all purchasing contracts for product-standardization, evaluation and analysis.
- In partnership with Corporate Materials Management and CFO, will perform all strategic planning for all reporting areas as well as hospital materials and distribution/transportation systems.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master's degree in Nursing or Business required.
- Four years of progressive administrative experience required.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE