Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
HIM Support Staff
Job ID: 183198
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 18, 2023
Work Schedule: M-F 8:00am - 4:30pm
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Provide hospital onsite HIM coverage for the appropriate entity by servicing callers, patients and clinical personal with all matters associated with medical records. Responsible for retrieval of all paper medical records from all applicable inpatient and ambulatory settings. Ensures that all documents are properly labeled, prepped and identified for scanning into PennChart. Virtual print all Penn Star reports into PennChart. Prioritize and scan all Birth Worksheets and accompanying documentation. Route all Acknowledgement of Paternity (AoP) documents to the Corp HIM main office promptly upon receipt.
Supports the completion and processing of fetal death and death certificates as needed. Reviews all loose reports received to ensure that the necessary patient identifiers are on them before routing for scanning. Performs periodic quality review of documents stamped "Scanned" to ensure high quality, accurate scanning is performed by the units at the entities. Performs indexing of scanned documents to support those entities within Corporate HIM that perform scanning and indexing completely in house. Performs all other HIM support functions as needed.
Pick up records from the inpatient units, ambulatory procedure units, emergency room and any other ancillary sites necessary and processes as needed.
- Accurately prep all records for scanning by removing all workflow documents and items that are not part of the official medical record
- Ensure that all documents are properly identified and labeled as part of the prep for the scanning process
- Remove all designated CHOP forms from the mom and baby records at PAH for pickup. Photocopy and replace all documents that are part of the permanent medical record.
Ensure that all loose reports are ready for scanning into the medical record
- Ensure that all loose reports are labeled with the patient name, medical record number, CSN number, and account number. When identifying information is missing, look up and place the CSN number on all documents that are received and route to scanning for inclusion into the medical record.
- Always prioritize any Progress Notes, Consultations, Operative Reports and Discharge Summaries received in a paper format and have them scanned in as a priority.
- Ensure that all AoP documents are gathered, packaged and sent to the Corp HIM main office multiple times weekly to ensure that they are received and processed in a timely manner in relation to the filing of Birth Certificates.
Virtual print and scan documents received that impact operations and processing as a priority.
- Scan all Birth Worksheets in via Media Manager upon receipt and before the end of shift for all entities that process and file the Birth Certificates
- Virtual print the Penn Star reports daily into PennChart.
When required, retrieve non-electronic medical records archived or on microfilm from off-site storage as needed for requestors.
- Return records received to off-site storage in a prompt and timely manner
- Refile microfilm in a prompt and timely manner when retrieved for record release
Alert HIM management and/or EMPI team of multiple medical record numbers discovered through the normal course of business that require merging.
- Serve as the front facing HIM staff at each entity and perform all necessary tasks in a prompt, professional and courteous manner
- Support Release of Information staff with greeting and attending to patients who present to the department to request records.
- Support and facilitate fetal death certificate processing and death certificate support as needed at each entity
- Print records from Penn Chart as needed or requested by management.
- Gather and log all Fetal Monitoring strip print outs designated with a label for permanent retention in an organized manner for permanent offsite storage
Perform scanning quality review and indexing
- Perform periodic quality review of documents scanned by the units that are received stamped as “Scanned” to confirm that they are of high quality and accuracy for document type, description and within the correct record.
- Support the indexing of scanned documents at the entities that internally scan and index all of their documents with a high degree of accuracy and in a prompt and efficient manner.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Required Education and Experience
- H.S. Diploma/GED
- 1+ years of experience in a healthcare setting, HIM department or working with medical records
Required Skills and Abilities
- Computer software skills and knowledge
- Understanding of HIPAA standards and patient privacy regulations
- Strong customer service skills
- Maintains a professional appearance
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
Department: CORP HIM Operations
Position Address: Centre Square West Tower- 1500 Market Street
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE