This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 182780
Work Type: PT 20+ HOURS
Location: Plainsboro, NJ, United States
Work Schedule: Day Shift
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Penn Medicine Princeton Health is seeking a par time registered pharmacist to work the dayshift.
• A registered pharmacist who performs specific job responsibilities in accordance with New Jersey State Board of Pharmacy, Federal and State regulatory agencies, Joint Commission standards, ASHP practice guidelines and organizational policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Provides medications and pharmacy services to hospital inpatients and defined outpatients. Reviews pertinent clinical information to ensure medication therapy is appropriate based on the patient’s age, diagnosis, and clinical status. Confers with physicians and other healthcare providers to resolve discrepancies and problems with medication therapies regarding the appropriateness, dosage, drug interactions, incompatibilities, thoroughness and formulary status, therapeutic substitutions. Offers alternative drug therapy, when warranted, to improve outcomes and/or provide the most cost-effective therapy. Performs all necessary monitoring, documentation and coordination of services required.
2. Provides drug information to physicians and other healthcare professionals.
3. Performs all dispensing functions of a registered pharmacist. Reviews written or directly entered medication orders, confers with physician if necessary and processes medication orders. Verifies medications filled by pharmacy technicians prior to dispensing. Provides patient medication information if appropriate.
4. Assists with the distribution and control of controlled drug substances within the Pharmacy Department and to patient care areas. Dispenses controlled drug substances to patient care areas using the Pyxis and CII Safe system and in accordance with Federal and State laws governing the control of controlled drug substances.
5. Follows all procedures and techniques for aseptic preparation of parenteral products. Performs compounding of pharmaceutical preparations, including but not limited to: large volume parenteral solutions, intravenous piggybacks, epidural solutions, dialysis solutions, batched syringe products, and TPN solutions.
OTHER JOB DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Participates in meetings and rounds based on scheduled assignment with medical attending and house staff to discuss chosen modes of therapy and to review rationale behind such selection.
2. Provides pharmacokinetic monitoring when a targeted drug is prescribed for a patient.
3. Implements and maintains departmental policies and procedures related to the safe and effective use of medication in the hospital setting.
4. Performs medication use evaluations in order to assess appropriateness of drug therapy.
5. Provides consult service dealing with various aspects of drug therapy, including pharmacokinetic consults, adverse drug reaction reports, and possible drug-drug interactions.
6. Identifies and assists in the management of medication errors and adverse drug reactions.
7. Acts as a preceptor for the Pharmacy Practice Resident.
8. Provides patient education on the proper use of prescribed medication and associated compliance.
9. Provides educational materials such as Newsletters and Clinical Bulletins.
10. Performs community outreach/education.
11. Supports customer service and performance improvement goals of the Pharmacy Department; collaborates with other caregivers/staff, within and outside the Department, to develop means of enhancing patient care and services.
12. Maintains standards of confidentiality.
13. Age-Specific Knowledge and Skills- Possesses the knowledge, skills and attitudes necessary to meet patients’ physical, psychological and social needs with those growth and development levels/patient populations served within the Pharmacy Department.
14. Participates in unit compliance as related
• PharmD or BS Pharmacy from an accredited College of Pharmacy (required)
Related Work Experience
• Previous experience (preferred)
LICENSURE, CERTIFICATION OR REGISTRATION REQUIREMENTS
• Current New Jersey license to practice pharmacy (required)
• Board Certified Pharmacotherapy Specialist (preferred)
SPECIALIZED SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS
• Computer literacy
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required; professionalism essential.
• Also required are a customer service orientation, a teamwork approach, flexibility, organizational and problem solving skills.
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.