Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
PRN Patient Care Observer - Float Pool Unit @ Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
Job ID: 183851
Category: CNA (Certified Nursing Assistant)/ Nursing Assistant
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 24, 2023
Work Schedule: Nights
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The patient care observer works with and under the direct supervision of a registered nurse with whom s/he is teamed to provide for patient safety through observation and support.
- Identifies patient using 2 patient identifiers according to PPMC policy before carrying out functions.
- Carries out PPMC fire and safety regulations.
- Promotes infection control:
- Performs proper hand hygiene, both before and after patient contact. Maintains universal precautions.
- Carries out isolation procedures according to Infection Control Manual. Deals with blood and body fluids according to universal barrier precautions policy.
- Reports needle stick injuries to charge nurse.
- Reports exposure of communicable diseases and infections.
- Demonstrates awareness of OSHA (Occupational Health and Safety Administration regulations).
- Maintains safe environment and protects patients from injury.
- Performs 1:1 observation according to PPMC policy. - Accompanies patient when leaving the unit (i.e., to radiology).
- Does not leave patient unless relieved by another staff member.
- Places call bell within patient’s reach.
- Utilizes safety devices including bed rails, wheel locks on beds, wheelchairs and litters, and bed alarms.
- Notifies RN if tubes/IV catheters become disconnected.
- Reports defective equipment to charge nurse.
- Awareness of Materials Safety Data Sheet.
- Makes unoccupied bed
- Data Collection, documentation, and handoff communication
- During report from RN, documents the following information on patient observation worksheet:
- Patient Data.
- Pertinent information related to plan of care.
- Maintains accurate documentation according to PPMC policy.
- The name of the Charge Nurse/Patient Nurse, plan for Break Relief.
- Handoff to the nurse, activities performed for inclusion in the progress notes.
- Alerts nurse immediately regarding sounding of alarms on infusion pumps, ventilators, and telemetry.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Associate of Arts or Science
- Associate's Degree and 0-1 years Similar patient care experience preferred.
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED required.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE