Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Penn Presbyterian Medical Center (PPMC) is seeking a Bed Management Coordinator (1st shift, full-time) to support the Patient Progression department. PPMC is a renowned center for cardiac care and ophthalmology. PPMC’s campus includes the Musculoskeletal Center’s outpatient facility at Penn Medicine University City and the Pavilion for Advanced Care, which is home to Penn Medicine’s Level 1 Regional Resource Trauma Center.
The Bed Management Coordinator acts as the initial contact for patients and family to the Patient Progression Department. Verifies and registers patients in the EPIC system. Explains all forms used and securing signatures on consents, authorization and financial agreement forms. Verifies and pre-certifies patient's insurance information and insures that information for billing is complete and accurate. Directs patient to the appropriate clinical area/nursing unit. Answers incoming calls to Bed Management and performs required reception duties.
- Assesses available bed resource and current bed status by meeting with the NAC every am and pm
- Communicates and discusses bed assignment with each Nurse Manager, Emergency Department staff, physicians and residents •
- Makes medical team assignments and communicates all assignments with residents
- Coordinates with cardiac care nurse and/or the critical care nurse, when appropriate to expedite bed assignments and in-house transfer activity among the critical care units and medical/surgical units.
- Reviews Cath lab and OR schedules to anticipate and plan the next day’s admission/transfer bed request • Coordinates/communicates with management of Environmental Services utilizes Bed Tracking System and orders stat cleans to facilitate patent flow
- Maintains daily log of all unscheduled admits ie: direct from physician offices, emergency department, transfers and post/procedure admits
- Communicate with Clinical Resource Management for all discharges and transfer activity
- Identify problems advise manager and request a bed management meeting
- Support the organization and operations of the hospital and the department
- Works with telemetry until to reserve boxes for patients and have telemetry orders reviewed
- Attends staff meeting to discuss new procedures and review current practices
- Consistently demonstrates the ability to appropriately prioritize requests for admission and problem solve patient bed placement issues
- Works directly with pre-certification coordinator to have all insurance’s verified for illegality before confirming transfer
- Performs all other duties necessary for the efficient operation of the department including special projects completed by the agreed date
- Analysis and enter data in the POD report as required daily to capture patient progression data
- Certified for Registration Database • Maintains clean efficient workstation
- Maintains 95% accuracy with EPIC registrations • Greets patients in a friendly manner
- Contacts external companies to verify patient’s employment and insurance information for Workmen’s Compensation cases, as required
- Makes copies of insurance cards and identification
- Obtain accurate demographic and insurance information, as well as verifying and validating insurance information • Generate medical record number and past medical record information for patient
- Produces patient identification band
- Proficient with downtime procedures
- Periodically orients new personnel as required
- Alerts management team to problems (i.e. lack of beds, etc)
- Performs other duties in area of responsibility as assigned
- Collection of Co-pay Duties: • Interview patient asking in what manner he/she will be making payment to the Center
- Have patient sign the PATIENT CONSENT FOR FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY FORMS
- Fill in the $ amount for self-pay patients
- Work with billing to collect monies established by a payment plan
- Witness and date forms
- Courtesy and politeness
- Concern for each patient’s well being
- Sensitivity and prompt responsiveness to the patient’s wants and needs
- Cooperation with and helpfulness to the patient, members of the patient’s family, visitors and co-workers
- Pride in self, professions and the hospital
- Respect for other people
- Key Team partners include: Patient Access Team including Financial Counseling, Nursing Management, Clinical Resources Management, SPU staff, Physician Office staff, and CBO management.
- Shares resources and information across boundaries to ensure customer needs are met and status of the revenue cycle is maximized
- Supports proactive communication to enable high performance of all individuals
- Communicates appropriately and effectively with supervisors, nurse managers, peers, patients/customers and outside agencies
- Follow professional and proper telephone etiquette using interpersonal skills and required job knowledge (LIST)
- Effective management skills including but not limited to communication, conflict resolution, problem solving, work redesign and policy and procedure documentation.
- Working knowledge of hospital billing and reimbursement issues as they relate to information required at time of outpatient care.
- Knowledge of EPIC system, PC applications including Microsoft Office Suite
- Proactively shares information and trends
- Treats colleagues and staff with dignity and respect
- Ensures absolute confidentiality
- Creates a work environment that attracts and retains key talent
- Facilitates the identification of common goals
- Identifies opportunity for improvement
- Prioritizes own work with minimal involvement of supervision
- Takes personal responsibility for Department performance
- 2+ years experience (1-2 years experience in a healthcare environment with direct patient contact)
- EPIC certification Our people are passionate about what they do, the product they sell, and the customers they serve. If you're looking for an opportunity to be an opportunity to be a part of a work family that values collaboration, innovation and dedication, we're the right company for you.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.