Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
PRN Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist - Clinical Practices of the Univ. of Pennsylvania
Job ID: 183156
Category: CRNA (Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist)
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Days at HUP & PPMC
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Penn Medicine, one of the premiere academic medical centers in the country, is seeking PRN CRNAs for the Department of Anesthesiology and Critical Care at the following locations:
The Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
Penn Presbyterian Medical Center
The Center for Advanced Medicine (Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania campus)
Radnor, Pa LocationSummary:
The Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist (CRNA) provides anesthesia services across all surgical specialties to patients throughout the health system. The CRNA, working in a collaborative care team model, is responsible for developing a patient-specific anesthesia plan, managing and maintaining hemostasis intra-operatively, selecting appropriate hemodynamic monitoring, inserting any necessary invasive monitors and performing regional anesthesia when appropriate.
- Make preoperative visits, assess the patient's condition, discuss anesthetic management and administer anesthesia, all with consultation of the appropriate staff anesthesiologist in accordance with accepted standards of professional practice, licensing laws
- Assemble, prepare, and test needed supplies and equipment prior to an anesthetic for self and colleagues, as needed. Assist in preparing the patient in the operative room.
- Apply, insert and utilize various monitoring equipment including arterial, CVP and SG catheter lines, oximetry, capnography and peripheral nerve stimulators.
- Administer various types of anesthesia, including inhalation, intravenous, spinal, epidural and nerve blocks. All anesthesia is administered under the supervision and attendance of staff anesthesiologists.
- Maintain the anesthetic state according to current standards, keep the anesthesiologist and surgeon informed as to the patient's condition, and be competent to deal with anesthetic emergencies.
- Record the preoperative, operative and postoperative data describing the condition of the patient. Record the drugs used for anesthesia. This information is transcribed on progress notes and the anesthesia record in accordance with correct charting techniques. This information is the permanent record concerning the anesthetic.
- Assist in the postoperative care of the patient, remain with the patient until transfer to the PAR or SICU and check periodically on the postoperative condition. Give a full report to the receiving nurse (PAR, SICU, etc.) and verify initial vital signs before transfer is complete.
- Aid in the evaluation and care of the intubated and/or ventilated ICU patient as directed.
- Participate as a member of the Cardiac Resuscitation Team.
- Assist in the practical instruction of techniques of anesthesiology to interns, residents, medical students and supportive staff.
- Participate in the care and maintenance of equipment as necessary.
- Participate in the Quality Improvement activities of the Anesthesia Department.
- Cert Nurse Anesthetist (Required)
- Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Science (Required)
- Master of Science (Required)
- Graduation from an approved CRNA school 0-1 years Accredited anesthesia school, prior experience not necessary.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE