Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Per Diem Pharmacist
Job ID: 184179
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Date Posted: May 26, 2023
Work Schedule: Per Diem Pharmacist
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Provides comprehensive, quality medication management for patients of The Chester County Hospital through application of pharmacy practice standards. Adheres to Pharmacy Policies and Procedures and organizational goals and objectives.
- Demonstrates the skills necessary to provide job duties as appropriate for the age of the patients/significant others served. This includes monitoring dosing for patients based on age and renal function.
- Monitors drug therapy for contraindications, incompatibilities, allergies, and dosing errors.
- Provides current drug information which includes a thorough understanding of new medications, dosage requirements, indications, contraindications, pharmacology, pharmacokinetics, side effects and adverse reactions and precautions.
- Performs estimated creatinine clearance daily on assigned patients and recommends medication frequency adjustments as needed.
- Performs drug order clarifications on targeted medications
- Interprets physicians’ orders, corrects and/or clarifies any ambiguous, incomplete, or erroneous orders by direct communication with the physician. Informs physician of nonformulary and restricted items as they are ordered and recommends appropriate substitution.
- Supervises technician functions. Is knowledgeable of technician responsibilities and time commitments. Checks accuracy of technician distribution functions in order to assist and/or fill-in when workload dictates.
- Checks pyxis inventory sheets before order is delivered to the floor.
- Able to assign the appropriate pyxis pocket when loading a new medication.
- Processes controlled substances from the C-II safe. Alerts system analyst of any discrepancies. Reviews pyxis C-II safe reports for accuracies in floor deliveries.
- Able to create a medication bar code for a non-formulary med or any unbar coded medication.
- Understands the inventory function and able to perform an inventory when necessary.
- Able to refill medications to the pyxis machine and assign expiration dates.
- Compounds accurately and dispenses medications of a special nature that are not readily available from manufacturers. Communicates new compounding instructions to coworkers to assure consistent continuation of therapy.
- Ensures the accurate and efficient preparation and delivery of all antibiotics, chemotherapy, and other parenteral solutions, double checks all chemotherapy orders as needed, can enter TPN orders into CAPS software and ensures accurate preparation of the CV OR syringes in the absence of the IV room pharmacists.
- Verifies physician orders accurately and in a timely fashion. Understands all CPOE functionality and knows when to correct an inappropriate entry which may include contacting the ordering physician.
- Understands MAK nursing functionality and is able to effectively discuss nursing questions that involve MAK issues.
- Participates in the training of new employees. Signs off on the pharmacist training checklist.
- Has a working knowledge of the pharmacy computer system. Participates in all instant inservices for new computer functions and drug updates.
- Adheres to federal and state laws, regulations of governing agencies such as Joint Commission, DEA, OSHA, etc .and hospital policies regarding the drug use, documentation, and control.
- Adheres to OSHA standards for pharmacy when preparing IV chemotherapy orders.
- Pharmacist (Required)
- PA License required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- 1+ years Hospital experience
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE