Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Masters Physician Assistant - Liver Transplant (w/ Operating Room) @ HUP
Job ID: 184799
Category: Nurse Practitioner/ Physician Assistant
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Full Time Hours
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
We are currently looking for a Masters Physician Assistant to join the Liver Transplant team at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania.
The Liver Transplant program has an exciting opportunity for an Advanced Practice Provider to work as First Assist in the operating room and a clinician in the outpatient clinical settings caring for liver, pancreas, and kidney transplant patients. First Assist in the OR will include laparoscopic donor nephrectomy, hernia repair, AV fistula creation, robotic renal donor nephrectomy and organ procurement. The advanced practice provider will be responsible for Reading and Lancaster outpatient clinics, each which sees patients once a month with a transplant surgeon for evaluation for liver transplant. The evaluation includes medical histories and examination. The position includes outpatient care at The Hospital of The University of Pennsylvania for persons wishing to donate abdominal organs for transplant, patients who have received an abdominal transplant to include post-operative care and wound management, ordering and interpreting laboratory and diagnostic tests.
- All APPs function under the guidelines as designed by the Penn Medicine medical staff and are credentialed through that body. The Physician Assistant will be held accountable through a formal job description, delineation of privileges, and through a Written Practice Agreement with their supervising physician. All clinical work hours and associated requirements will be defined and managed under the direction of the supervising physician and within the Human Resource guidelines. Provides direct clinical care for patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence-based practice standards in collaboration with team.
- The PA-C will contribute to excellence in education, leadership, professionalism, and clinical practice.
- Provides direct clinical care for patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence based practice standards in collaboration with team.
- Maintains accurate and confidential medical records. Documents all medical evaluations, diagnoses, procedures, treatment, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with organizational standards in electronic medical records.
- Identifies self properly to the patient and family and clarifies the role of Physician Assistant if necessary.
- The Physician Assistant shall function within their scope and refer to the supervising physician when outside of scope, and/or directed by the supervising physician, or when requested by the patient.
- Performs interventions specific to assigned patient population and written agreement.
- Participates in the performance improvement processes to meet quality of care and service standards.
- Demonstrates awareness of professional responsibility as role model to peers and members of the health care team.
- Perform approved therapeutic or diagnostic procedures based upon patient’s clinical status.
- Addresses patient and family concerns and creates a therapeutic relationship to provide support.
- Provide patient education, counseling, and instruction regarding patient diagnosis, medical treatments, medications, and preventive care.
- Participates in and supports accreditation, compliance, and regulatory activities of the organization.
- Participated in preceptorship of PA-C students and other healthcare learners.
- Identifies patient/family needs for community resources and refers appropriately.
- National Commission for Certification of Physician Assistant at time of hire
- Masters Physician Assistant
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master of Arts or Science (Required)
- Master’s degree required except for current employees grandfathered prior to implementation of PAaCE. The Physician Assistant must be reviewed by the Credentials Committee and approved by the medical board. Graduate of Accredited Physician Assistant Training Program
- First assist experience preferred
This position is a Monday through Friday daytime position with some on-call procurement coverage.
Hours may be adjusted to ensure optimal clinical, OR and operational needs of the department.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE