Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Data Engineer (Senior or Mid-level)
Job ID: 184054
Category: Information Services/Technology/Service Desk/Telecom
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: 8:00AM-4:30PM, M-F | Remote Flexibility
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
We are seeking highly skilled Healthcare Data Engineers with strong technical background and experience supporting healthcare research. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of designing, developing, and delivering data solutions to support Enterprise Analytics.
- Design, develop, and implement data engineering and data warehousing solutions on Databricks, ensuring the ingestion, integration, and curation of data to deliver valuable information to stakeholders. Emphasis should be placed on providing research-ready datasets.
- Possess expertise in SQL and Data Engineering tools and methods. Experience using Python or Apache Spark for data transformations is a plus; developing expertise in this area will be required.
- Prior certification in Epic Clarity Data Model is desirable; if not, candidate will be expected to successfully obtain certification within the first six months of employment.
- Develop efficient processes for data ingestion from diverse sources (structured and unstructured) to Databricks (on Azure).
- Ensure seamless integration of data across the enterprise and drive automation of repetitive tasks.
- Provide guidance, coaching, and training to junior and new team members on standards, processes, and documentation.
ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND COMPETENCIES:
- Collaborate effectively with a large team of Data Engineers, Data Architects, and DevOps Engineers.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal and teamwork skills to foster a collaborative work environment.
Job Summary - Senior level:
- The Senior Data Engineer is responsible for the development of complex data integration processes, data transformation and developing advanced visualizations within Penn Medicine. Ensures that the extracted, transformed and displayed information meets all clinical and business requirements of the organization and end-users. This entails creating, maintaining and modifying existing development. Required to provide technical counsel and guidance to other team members, consultants, Information Services Staff and end-users.
- Builds and deploys software, meeting standards and with defect rates below the target threshold.
- Delivers solutions in line with user expectations as per defined requirements.
- Programs and effectively tests changes for production migration.
- Leads in resolution of routine data integration errors/variances when needed.
- Researches and analyzes data in support of troubleshooting production issues.
- Provides regular updates and status of issue/task to the manager, product owner and/or report requestor.
- Provides technical counsel to co-workers and mentors associate members of the team.
- Thoroughly documents all development activities including user requests, specifications, development, modifications, testing and on-going production support.
- Continuously improves departmental processes, programs, operations and services.
- Consults users on system and data capabilities.
Job Summary - Mid-level:
- This position is responsible for the development of complex data integration processes, data transformation, and/or developing advanced visualizations within Penn Medicine. This individual will be required to ensure that the extracted, transformed, and/or displayed information meets all clinical and business requirements of the organization and end-users. This will entail creating new as well as maintaining and modifying existing development. This individual will be required to provide technical counsel and guidance to other team members, consultants, IS Staff, and end-users.
- Build and deploy software meeting standards and with defect rates below the target threshold.
- Assemble large complex data sets that meet functional and non-functional business requirements.
- Build the analytics infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL, ETL, visualizations, and/or big data technologies.
- Create analytics tools that utilize existing data assets to provide actionable insights into operational efficiency, quality improvement, and other key business performance metrics.
- Continuously improves departmental processes, programs, operations, and services.
- Research and data analysis in support of troubleshooting production issues.
- Participate in resolution of routine data integration errors/variances when needed.
- Coordinate with other IS groups to see problems through to resolution
- Attend planning and status meetings with team members, system administrators, and/or clients/end-users to understand project requirements and provide constructive commentary.
- Proactively contribute with ideas and solutions
- Consult users on system and data capabilities.
- Ensures clients find the DAC process supportive and effective
- Provide regular updates and status of issue/task to the manager, product owner, and/or report requestor
- Deliver solutions in line with user expectations as per defined requirements.
- Provide technical counsel to co-workers
- Maintain strict levels of data confidentiality, privacy, and security
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
Education/Experience - Senior level:
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- 10+ years of experience in data warehousing, ETL and/or visualization experience (Required).
- 10+ years of experience with databases and data architecture (Required).
Skills & Abilities:
- Demonstrated interpersonal/verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate technical information and ideas.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all levels of staff.
- Demonstrated customer service skills.
- Ability to solve problems and improve processes.
- Proficient with use of MSSQL, T-SQL, Oracle, PL/SQL and/or advanced data processing tools.
- Proficiency working with a variety of data formats such as XML, JSON.
- Proficiency working with very large data sets.
Education/Experience - Mid-level:
- Bachelor's Degree (Required), preferably in Computer Science, Information Technology, Informatics, Software Engineering, Mathematics or related STEM discipline.
- 5+ years of experience working directly with data and/or databases (Required).
Skills & Abilities:
- Experience with relational and/or NoSQL databases (such as Oracle, MSSQL, HANA, HBase) and authoring SQL, PL/SQL and/or T-SQL.
- Experience developing within IBM DataStage, Informatica, HANA, Spark, Kafka and/or other data transformation tools/processes.
- Experience with the SAP BusinessObjects suite (Lumira, Design Studio, etc), PowerBI, D3 and/or other advanced visualization toolsets.
- Experience building and deploying within cloud-based services, such as AWS or Azure.
- Knowledge of healthcare data/systems.
- Ability to utilize critical thinking.
- Ability to work independently.
- Strong written, oral, and non-verbal communication skills.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE