Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Reg Respiratory Therapist III
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 184466
Category: Respiratory Therapy
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Variable
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- A Respiratory Therapist Level 3 (RT3) is a member of the healthcare team who provides expertise in managing patients of all ages who have respiratory disease or acute conditions impacting their ability to breath. The RT3 provides respiratory care to patients in the general, critical care and emergency room environments. The RT3 position is part of an internal HUP clinical advancement program and requires a minimum of 3 years of experience as Registered Respiratory Therapist and a minimum of 3 years as a UPHS employee.
- Department: CCA Penn E Lert EICI
- Location:Penn Medicine Rittenhouse – 1800 Lombard Street
- Entity: Clinical Care Associates
- Perform physical assessment of a patient’s pulmonary status and make recommendations for appropriate respiratory care
- Administer oxygen via various standard delivery devices as well as specialized heated high flow devices and a hyperbaric chamber • Administer aerosolized medications via nebulizer, MDI, DPI or other devices
- Administer prescribed inhaled nitric oxide or aerosolized prostacyclin
- Evaluate and maintain artificial airways of various sizes
- Set up, adjust, maintain, and clean various types and brands of mechanical ventilators • Perform advanced procedures on patients with severe hypoxemia including prone positioning, lung recruitment maneuvers and more
- Set up, adjust, maintain, and clean various types and brands of non-invasive BiPAP & CPAP devices
- Transport critically ill patients on respiratory modalities • Respond to hospital emergencies including rapid response, code call, etc..
- Utilize approved RT protocols
- Perform ABG & other diagnostic tests to evaluate the extent of disease or effectiveness of treatment
- Perform EKG testing, phlebotomy, IV insertion and other non-traditional roles and/or responsibilities based on department and/or location need
- Document patient care activities and enter charges in current electronic data system
- Complete annual competencies and continuing education as determined by hospital policy, credential and state licensing requirements.
- Maintain active RT credential(s) and PA state RT license
- Effectively communicate with other respiratory therapists, physicians, nurses and other care team members
- Work well with other healthcare team members and promotes teamwork at all times
- Serve as a preceptor for students and newly hired RT orientation
- Activity participate in other areas of the RT department including serving on one or more committees, coordinating performance improvement projects, and/or other functions as specified in the Level III clinical ladder policy.
- Serve in the role of charge therapist during times when neither a supervisor or Level 4 RT are not scheduled
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization
- Registered by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC)
- Graduate of Committee of Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) accredited Respiratory Care program
- State of Pennsylvania Respiratory Care License
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- Associate's Degree (Required) and 3+ years of Clinical Experience
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE