Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, Ambulatory/Retail--PRN, days--HUP
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 186009
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The University of the Hospital of Pennsylvania is seeking a PRN, day shift Clinical Pharmacy Specialist, Ambulatory/Retail.
This position will be primarily responsible for comprehensive medication management consult services (including diabetes and obesity management) at the downtown internal medicine and specialty practices.
- Clinical Pharmacy Specialists are required to provide pharmacy services to multiple areas throughout the hospital. The pharmacist should be an effective communicator and be able to integrate themselves within the healthcare team and current structure of the pharmacy department. They must possess the skills to cover all aspects of pharmacy operations, have the ability to supervise and direct technician staff, make sound clinical and operational decisions and work independently. Clinical Pharmacy Specialists are considered leaders in their respective field and should provide pharmaceutical expertise by rounding on patients, consulting with care teams and providing education to both patients and providers. Additionally, Clinical Pharmacy Specialists both participate in and lead quality improvement efforts, including drug use evaluations as well as clinical research projects in their specialty areas.
- Tasks may include, but are not limited to: designing, recommending, monitoring, evaluating and documenting patient and age-specific pharmacotherapy; preparing and dispensing medications, providing concise, applicable, and timely responses to requests for drug information to ensure optimal drug use and medication-use education; manage medication safety issues; optimize patient outcomes while ensuring cost effectiveness; monitor medical and nursing compliance and ensure adherence to the hospital's medication use policies and procedures and relevant regulatory agencies. Clinical Pharmacy Specialists are foundational for providing layered learning for the Pharmacy Department, creating and participating in educational programs and rotations for pharmacy and technician staff, interns, students and residents. As leaders in their field, specialist are expected to contribute to the advancement of pharmacy practice by participation in professional organizations, publication and presentation of their original research and translation of these practices into their patient care activities. Specialists are expected to be leaders in their respective areas to assure the highest quality and most up to date pharmaceutical care is provided to patients.
- Provides optimal pharmacy service to patients and other health care professionals by designing, recommending, monitoring, evaluating and documenting patient and age-specific pharmacotherapy
- Participates in the education of all healthcare providers regarding safe and effective medication use. Precepts pharmacy students, residents and pharmacy staff as assigned. Provides pharmaceutical education to patients and caregivers
- Verifies, prepares and dispenses medications using appropriate techniques to ensure positive outcomes of drug therapies and compliance with regulatory requirements and the organization’s policies and procedures. Ensures adherence to medication-use policies and guidelines
- Provides concise, applicable and timely responses to drug information requests from health care providers and patients
- Participates in the management of medical emergencies
- Contributes to, participates in, and leads multidisciplinary quality improvement initiatives and clinical research within the pharmacy and/or other institutional departments to improve patient care
- Supervises and directs the activities and growth of other pharmacists, residents, technicians, interns, and students
- Works to advance the practice of pharmacy through contributions to the medical and pharmaceutical literature as well as through participation in professional organizations
- PA Pharmacy licensed required or eligible at time of hire
- Board of Pharmaceutical Specialties Certification in area of specialty practice (or Pharmacotherapy if no specialty certification available) Must be obtained within 1 year of hire
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Science Degree or Doctor of Pharmacy Degree from an accredited College of Pharmacy.
- Personal commitment to advancing the profession.
- Demonstration of contributions to pharmacy practice and leadership skills
- Successful completion of a PGY1 Pharmacy Residency OR As a licensed pharmacist in a hospital pharmacy with >/=50% of time in area of specialty.
- Successful completion of a PGY2 Specialty Residency preferred preferably in area of specialty practice they are applying for OR As a licensed pharmacist in a hospital pharmacy with >/= 50% of time spent in area of specialty
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE