Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Department: Out Patient Surgery
- The Supervisor of Coding reports to the Revenue Cycle Director/Manager and is responsible for all coding operational aspects of the Revenue Cycle for the Department. Responsible for recruiting, selection, supervision, performance management, employee termination, etc. Oversees and manages the coding processes and works in collaboration with the Department to meet department goals and standards for all divisions. Primary point of contact for Op note coding and Op note charge capture. Directly supervises coding employees and assists with management of other revenue cycle staff. Performance will have a direct impact on Department and UPHS reimbursement and bad debt performance.
- Manages all coding for assigned hospitals and divisions and ensures appropriate codes are billed. Responsible for all coding variances at HUP Presbyterian and Pennsylvania Hospitals for Dept, utilizing 2500+CPT codes. Applies ICD10 and CPT codes to procedures performed at HUP, Presbyterian and Pennsylvania Hospitals.
- Establishes and monitors missing charges to ensure accurate charge capture. Effectively manage coding charge review WQ. Responsible for reconciliation of all operative cases each month.
- Actively participates in department meetings/groups to address efficient Op note charge capture processes. Develop and maintain positive relationships with Professional Fee Abstraction, Professional Billing Office and other Professional Associations
- Provides educated assessment regarding coding guidelines which relate to specific divisional programs, service-lines and clinical trials.
- Manages staff; interviews, hires, assigns and directs work, appraises staff performance with rewards and discipline, addresses complaints and resolves issues that may arise, and acts as a mentor for department staff.
- Serve as resource to department coders, helping to foster staff development, satisfaction and achievement.
- Provides coding analysis to ensure accurate level of reimbursement is attained and documentation supports services.
- Responsible for annual CPT and ICD10 coding sheet updates, revisions, additions and deletions.
- Attends divisional meetings and provides statistics and professional expertise regarding coding regulations, insurer nuances and identifies areas related to denials as needed.
Skills and Abilities
X Basic knowledge of EHR programs, Medical Terminology, ICD-10, CPT, HCPCS codes and coding processes
X Knowledge of clinical billing and collection
X Thorough understanding of healthcare reimbursement and denial management processes
X Thorough understanding of healthcare coding guidelines and rules
X Strong written and verbal interpersonal skills
X Leadership abilities along with communication, analytical, and organizational skills
X Intermediate level skill in Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Word
X Ability to develop and implement policies and procedures
- CCS or CPC (Required)
- One of the following is required: Certified Coding Specialist-CCS or CCS-H (AHIMA) or CPC (AAPC) or Certified Outpatient Coding-COC (AAPC) required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- AND 3+ years Coding Experience
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 7+ years Coding and Revenue Cycle Experience
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.