Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Surgical Technologist II - FT DAYS - PAH
Job ID: 160656
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Surgical Technologist II is a Technologist that partners with the health care team and consistently demonstrates safe practice within the organizational professional practice model. The TITLE II exhibits UPHS organizational behavioral competencies which reflect its mission and are embedded in the professional practice competency domains.
- Clinical Judgement & Decision Making: Ways in which employees come to understand the problems, issues, or concerns of our industry professionals and interprofessional practitioners, and our clients and their families, to attend to important information and to respond in concerned and involved ways.
- Employee-Client Relationship: The Technologist recognizes the patient (or the patient's designee) as the source of control and a full partner in providing compassionate and coordinated care based on respect for the patient's preferences, values, and needs. Relationship that extends beyond baseline duties to integrate the particular medical professional's informational needs as well as the client's response and his/her religious/spiritual, ethnic, and cultural belief into educational concerns.
- Clinical Leadership: The Technologist effectively collaborates and applies innovative, systems thinking to engage in systematic, evidence-based problem solving, decision making to promote effective changes, supports the development of others, and creates a practice climate of responsiveness and learning. This area involves both outside the department, inside the department, and our students.
- Clinical Scholarship: The Technologist evaluates and integrates best current evidence with clinical expertise and patient and family preferences and values for the delivery of optimal health care and system effectiveness. Demonstrates critical thinking and response-based practice.
- The Surgical Technologist II demonstrates the ability to deliver safe and effective care to patients under the direct supervision of the registered nurse and/or physician throughout the peri-operative experience. Demonstrated knowledge of surgical instrumentation and ability to handle instrumentation properly. Demonstrated knowledge of sterile technique and ability to create and maintain a sterile set-up. Demonstrates professional responsibility and accountability for actions. Independently works in 3 services or subservices and rotates to them.
- The Surgical Technologist II demonstrates how its practice impacts the organizational vision, mission, and goals and the care delivery system. The Technologist complies with all regulations and standards of regulatory and accrediting bodies.
- The Surgical Technologist II independently provides patient care through the application of the department specific processes and accepts accountability for the care of assigned patients. Assigned patients may range in age from infancy to the elderly.
- The Surgical Technologist II demonstrates within the competency domains of Clinical judgment & decision making, employee-client relationship, clinical leadership and clinical scholarship.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver safe and accurate care to patients throughout the perioperative experience under the direct supervision of the Registered Nurse and/or physician.
- Completes all competencies by the assigned date. Competent care provided in at least 3 separate surgical services or subspecialties. Attends Operating Room Preceptor course annually. Attends one conference or course related to patient care in the operating room every year (or completes 6 CEUs).
- Facilitates the continuum of care by collaborating to provide patient care that is appropriate for the age and developmental level of the patient.
- Participates in improving organizational performance by completing a major department project within the department every year.
- Maintains one area of responsibility in the department and participates in managing environment of care. Manages information appropriately and participates in surveillance, prevention, and control of infection.
- Completes departmental and hospital annual mandatory education prior to the end of the current performance review cycle.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Surgical Technologist (Required)
- Effective 12/29/2020, Surgical Technologist Certification by entity holding a Nationally recognized Institutional or program accreditation or successfully completed training program in US ARMY, Navy or Air Force.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- Two or more years of continuous and recent Surgical Technologist experience.
Central Processing Department experience preferred
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE