Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Production Manager- Nutrition Services
Job ID: 190184
Category: Food/Nutrition Services
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Full Time Day Shift
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Under the direction of the Director of Nutritional Services, the Production/Operations Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, developing, controlling and directing the "day-to-day" operations of the Nutritional Services department. The department encompasses all patient services, catering services and retail operations at Chester County Hospital and the Café at Jennersville and run in accordance with all standards set by regulatory agencies and guidelines established by Chester County Hospital. Supervises and coaches the department as needed to ensure that the quality of the food and nutritional care will be provided at all times. Coordinates activities and directs training of food production and porter staff as well as other kitchen workers engaged in preparing and cooking foods to ensure a high quality and efficient food service department.
- Responsible for the purchase, storage, receiving, preparation and service of all food and supplies for all food outlets in the accordance with the department's annual budget.
- Responsible for new product research and vendor evaluation
- Insures sanitation standards and applicable food handling process are maintained.
- Plans patient menus in conjunction with Clinical Dieticians following all nutritional guidelines.
- Develops recipes and devises special dishes. Reviews menus and analyzes recipes to determine food, labor and overhead costs and assigns prices to menu items.
- Plans café menus with café manager, taking into consideration food supply, leftovers and other market conditions, also considers both patient and staff census as well as item popularity. Insures adequate inventory supply while adhering to current budget.
- Observes methods of food preparation and cooking, portion size, and garnishing to ensure food is prepared in a prescribed manner and cost control measures are followed. Tests cooked foods through taste and smell.
- Conducts daily and or weekly safe audits as needed per the Director.
- Generates new purchase orders, replaces existing order as needed, and receives required PO/s in the current corporate system. Acts as the “requestor” for the department for all “non” PO orders.
- Staff scheduling for all hourly employees, both full and part time in all outlets in conjunction with department manager, this includes managing time off request to ensure proper staffing levels in all areas.
- Maintains friendly, efficient, positive customer service attitude toward customers and coworkers. Is responsive to customer needs.
- Establishes and enforces nutrition and sanitation standards of cafeteria, kitchen, and related work areas.
- Implements and executes established company policies, guidelines and procedures for all food and supplies purchased to achieve highest quality/price value and budget objectives.
- Supervise, lead, train, motivate, counsel, evaluate and professionally develop staff.
- Supervises production and other personnel and coordinates their assignments to ensure economical and timely food production. Directly oversees production and porter staff, assures they have the product and the census to provide a sufficient number of meal at each meal, fills in critical shifts when short staffed, directs porters daily as needed to ensure proper sanitation and overall cleaning is being completed during each shift.
- Maintains established systems and training programs to provide a safe working environment. Complies with all OSHA regulations and other local, state and federal regulations.
- Recognizes and adopts the appropriate food production services appropriate to specific needs of the patient/resident population and demonstrates knowledge of specific issues directly related to age of patient/resident population.
- Monitors production needs for the cafeteria and schedules all department employees.
- Establishes systems and training programs to provide a safe working environment.
- Implements, revises and maintains proper work routines for all department positions. Directs work of supervisors.
- Maintains compliance with company standards of operation. Adheres to company’s policies at all times. Maintains all records and reports to ensure compliance, with all local, stated and federal regulations and codes.
- Maintains compliance with all requirements of Federal, State and local regulations and guidelines.
- Assists with recommendations and maintains a proactive Human Resource function to ensure employee motivation, training and development, wage/benefit administration and compliance with established labor regulations and personnel policies and procedures.
- Plans and participates in planning menus and utilization of food surpluses and leftovers taking into account probable number of guests, marketing conditions, popularity of various dishes and menu cycle. Maintains inventory at established levels to meet budget objectives.
- Participates in the selection process of production employees. Familiarizes new employees with practices of kitchen. Assists with recommendations and maintains a proactive Human Resource function to ensure employee motivation, training and development is and compliance with established labor regulations and personnel policies and procedures.
- Active participation is encouraged for member in a professional/educational organization such as The Association of Healthcare Food Service or Association of Nutrition & Food Service Professionals.
- CFP ServSafe Food Protection
- Cert Food Manager (Required)
- Chester County Food Manager Certificate
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Associate of Arts or Science (Required)
- 3+ years supervisory experience, Or 6 - 8 years’ hospital food service management supervisory or equivalent experience.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE