Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Nurse Practitioner –Outpatient GI Medicine: Inflammatory Bowel Disese (IBD)
Job ID: 189169
Category: Nurse Practitioner/ Physician Assistant
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology has an exciting opportunity for a nurse practitioner or physician assistant to join the outpatient inflammatory bowel disease program at the Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine (PCAM). This advanced practice provider (APP) will work closely with a group of specialized physicians who cares for patients with Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis. The position requires an APP with excellent critical thinking, organizational and communication skills who is motivated to learn alongside this exceptional team of physicians to manage this unique patient population with chronic gastrointestinal conditions.
The role requires seeing patients in the outpatient GI clinic, performing comprehensive assessments, evaluating and managing acute IBD events, ordering labs, stool studies, imaging and endoscopic procedures, prescribing medications, medication monitoring and providing exceptional patient education. The role requires a strong partnership with the physicians in the IBD program along with the pharmacy, nursing and admirative teams to coordinate and manage ongoing care for these patients. This role offers tremendous professional growth and the opportunity to participate in Penn Medicine’s tripartite mission of clinical care, research and education.
We expect you to participate in the IBD journal club, GI grand rounds and APP educational series. As your role evolves, we will encourage you to get involved in national gastrointestinal societies and organizations that focus on inflammatory bowel disease such as the Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation, Americal College of Gastroenterology and the American Gastroenterological Association. We will also want you to participate in the operations and quality improvement of the IBD program.
- Provides direct clinical care for patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence-based practice standards in collaboration with team.
- Maintains accurate and confidential medical records. Documents all medical evaluations, diagnoses, procedures, treatments, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with organizational standards in the electronic health record (EHR).
- Identifies self properly to the patient and family, and clarifies the role of the nurse practitioner if necessary.
- The nurse practitioner should function within their scope and refer to the collaborating physician when outside of scope, and/or directed by the collaborating physician or when requested by the patient and/or family. Performs interventions specific to assigned patient population and collaborative agreement.
- Participates in the performance improvement processes to meet quality of care and service standards.
- Demonstrates awareness of professional responsibility as role model to peers and members of the health care team.
- Perform approved therapeutic or diagnostic procedures based upon patient’s clinical status.
- Addresses patient and family concerns and creates a therapeutic relationship to provide support.
- Provide patient education, counseling and instruction regarding patient diagnosis, medical treatments, medications, and preventative care.
- Participate in and support accreditation, compliance and regulatory activities of the organization.
- Precept NP students and other health care learners.
- Identifies patient/family needs for community resources and refers appropriately.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- ACLS (For providers in the acute care setting) required
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- BLS/CPR, as a healthcare provider as per the American Heart Association (For providers in the ambulatory setting) required
- Certified Nurse PractitionerPA (Required)
- PA and/or NJ CRNP licensure (CRNP) required.
- Prescriptive Authority (Required)
- PA and/or NJ Prescriptive Authority required.
- Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
- PA and/or NJ RN licensure (RN) required.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Master of Science Nursing (Required)
- Master's Degree or Doctor of Nursing Practice(DNP) in Nursing required and > 2.5 years of experience, The CRNP must be reviewed by the Credentials Committee and approved by the Medical Board.
National Board Certification required.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE