Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Job ID: 190916
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Medical Assistant (MA) assists the practice manager and physicians in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of high-quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial/operational targets. The MA provides patient care through performance of patient preparation, interviewing, technical tasks, and patient/family communication.
- Patient Care Accuntabilities:Prmptly rms patients, using EMR t alert prvider that patient is ready: reviews past medical, surgical, family, smking histry, allergies, medicatins; ntes crrectins in EMR, ntes medicatin refills needed fr the physician t review, initiates self-management gal setting where apprpriate, btains patient’s vital signs and dcuments in EMR, prepares chart fr patient visit, understands insurance restrictins fr lab wrk, referral needs, precertificatin requirements, etc.bserves patient cnditin and cmmunicates any abnrmal data r changes t prvider. Assists patients as needed with walking, transfers, dressing, undressing, preparing fr the exam, remains in exam rm when necessary/requested.Specimen management: btain specimens fr testing if applicable (including perfrming phlebtmy and anterir nares nasal swab cllectins), perfrms labratry and screening tests, recrds results in EMR and recnciles with lgs where apprpriate, dcuments and reprts findings t prviders, perfrms all quality cntrls as per Pint f Care Testing guidelines, prepares specimens fr transprt as necessary.Perfrms EKGs and ther utpatient screening tests as per MD rder and after prperly preparing the patient; accurately dcuments results in EMR.Assists with minr surgical prcedures by handing instruments, maintaining sterile field, psitining f patient and ther duties within scpe f respnsibility. Functins as a witness fr prcedural cnsents if required.Respnds apprpriately t emergency/cde situatins.CCA MAs, if applicable as per regulatry guidelines: administers prescribed medicatins, gives injectins and vaccines; reads PPD results, under the directin f the prvider/rders and dcuments in EMR.Demnstrates cmpetence in the bservatin, treatment, and care f the specific patients served in that practice, whse ages may range frm nenate t geriatric.Clerical / ther Accuntabilities: Respnsive and practive telephnic patient care - including care crdinatin with specialists, ancillary services, hspitals, labs, hme care agencies, and all ther invlved health services.btain and scan dcuments as apprpriate and required fr visit: test results, faxes, reprts, ntes, referrals, etc.Cmpletes medical frms and ther clinical requests fr infrmatin as apprpriate and required. Prepares and sends patient crrespndence as required. Assists nursing staff with the maintenance f patient educatin materials, as needed.CCA MAs: Prmptly perfrms call-backs as directed by prvider, giving patients infrmatin within their scpe f practice. Prvides patients with fllw up care instructins.Envirnmental / Safety Accuntabilities: Adheres t universal bdy fluids precautins and infectin cntrl plicies. Dispses f infectius waste prperly. Prmtes infectin cntrl by using apprpriate hand washing techniques.Ensures that the patient care areas are kept neat, rderly, well stcked and prperly prepared. Cleans, disinfects, and sterilizes instruments and equipment accrding t prtcls and checks that the instruments and equipment are in prper wrking rder. Ntifies Supervisr f malfunctins. Sets up equipment and instruments as per practice prtcl.Cleans and restcks equipment as needed. Authrized t access secured area t btain items such as intravenus slutins and medicatin preparatin supplies fr the purpse f stcking and maintaining pars in the medicatin carts. Retrieves supplies and medicatins/bld prducts frm tube system. Secures stck items in apprpriate lcatin. Delivers patient specific medicatins/bld prducts t the assigned nurse r prvider. Maintain temperature lg fr refrigeratr r rm temperature as needed.Maintains a safe envirnment and prtects the patient frm injury by bserving the patient wh may be at risk fr falls, cnfusin, disrientatin, r wandering behavirs.CCA MAs, if applicable as per regulatry guidelines: Maintains medicatin strage clset inventry and security; checks expiratin dates; remves utdated items. Perfrms daily cde/crash cart checks as assigned.ther / Regulatry:Ensures cmpliance with all applicable federal, state, and lcal regulatry standards (ex TJC, DH, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW, LCGME, SCGME, etc)Flexible and readily adpts new prcesses and engages in practice peratin changes.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- Basic Cardiac Life Support required
- CMA or RMA (Required)
- MA Certification (required within 90 days of hire)
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- H.S. Diploma/GED required. 1+ years Related experience preferred.
- Other (Required)
- Completion of an accredited Medical Assistant program (or higher level equivalent) required. 7+ years No previous MA experience required. 7+ years of experience working as an MA may be considered in lieu of MA program completion.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE