Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Associate Safety Manager - HUP
Job ID: 191332
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: 8:00am-4:30pm, M-F | Remote Flexibility
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
Corporate Safety Department
Entity: Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania
- This position is responsible for the identification and management of occupational and environmental risks that have the potential to disrupt high quality patient care within a large healthcare system. The ultimate goal of the Associate Safety Manager in this position is to improve operational reliability and resiliency to enhance the patient care experience. In such a setting, a variety of facilities, operational, environmental, chemical, physical, biological, emergency management and ergonomic stressors may arise. Any one of them may have potential to threaten or impair the safety of patients, staff, visitors and the surrounding community and may also impact the ability to provide the highest quality patient care. The Associate Safety Manager plans, develops, organizes, implements, evaluates and executes assigned portions of the entity safety and emergency management program and related activities.
- The Associate Safety Manager will also be responsible for compliance and enforcement of regulatory and accreditation requirements including but not limited to the Joint Commission, NFPA, the PA Department of Health, PA Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP), the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and other federal, state and local codes and ordinances. Guidance and direction comes from established entity policies and procedures, the licensed/mapped entity Environment of Care Committee, and the entity administrator responsible for oversight of the Environment of Care and Emergency Management functions. Additionally, the Associate Safety Manager is responsible for implementation of policy and best practices as directed by the UPHS Corporate Service Line Managers.
- Complete environment of care safety inspections, accident investigations, risk assessments and following up with entity leadership to implement corrective action planning and to verify compliance with applicable regulations. The Associate Safety Manager understands basic concepts associated with injury prevention as associated with physical and chemical safety.
- Attend and provide leadership to the EC/EM and other entity leadership meetings to represent the UPHS Corporate Emergency Management and Safety Department function. The Associate Safety Manager shall serve as the Environment of Care Committee Co-Chair. Where technical issues and regulation interpretation exceed the capabilities and qualifications of the Associate Safety Manager, the Associate Safety Manager is responsible for notifying the appropriate UPHS Corporate Service Line Manager and/or the Corporate Associate Director of Emergency Management and Safety to engage them in proper follow up.
- Serve as the liaison between entity leadership and the UPHS Corporate Emergency Management and Safety team during emergencies and/or disruptive events.
- Assists and periodically establish leadership and communications support for their assigned entity during emergencies and disruptive events that affect entity operations. Helps initiate and run incident command on behalf of their assigned entity in alignment with the scope of emergencies and disruptive events.
- Maintain and develop fundamental competency as related to regulatory requirements from OSHA, EPA, NFPA, The Joint Commission (TJC) PA Department of Health and keeping current with relevant changes that affect entity operations. The Associate Safety Manager shall be eligible to sit for the Certified Healthcare Safety Professional certification within 3 years.
- Identify opportunities and helps establish goals to improve entity performance associated with patient safety, quality outcomes, occupational injury prevention, infection control under the direction of entity leadership. Advises entity leadership on changes in regulation and effective solutions for achieving compliance.
- Responsible for managing entity compliance as related to the following Joint Commission standards: (EC 01.01.01 EP1,3,4,6,7), (EC 02.01.01 EP1,3,14,16), (EC .02.02.01 EP1,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12), (EC.02.03.01 EP1,4,9) (EC.02.03.03 EP1-5), (EC.02.03.05 EP15,16), (EC.02.06.01 EP1,11,20,26), (EC.04.01.01 EP1,3,4,5,6,8,9,10,11,15), (EC.04.01.03 EP1), (EC.04.01.05 EP1). The Associate Safety Manager also assists entity leadership in complying with other EC requirements, by providing technical consultation and integration of compliance evidence into overall EC program objectives to achieve entity Joint Commission accreditation.
- Responsible for helping assure entity compliance with OSHA 29 CFR 1910/1926, EPA, PA Fire Safety and Disaster Services Code Chapter 151, and NFPA 99 and 101.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree (Required)
- 3+ years of experience as a Healthcare Safety Professional and/or other closely related field (Required)
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to utilize computer software.
- Fundamental understanding of basic occupational safety and environmental standards (OSHA, EPA)
- Ability to understand the connection of occupational safety and environmental standards to Joint Commission requirements.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE