Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Director of Construction
Job ID: 190991
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: 8:00AM-5:00PM, M-F | Hybrid
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- The Real Estate, Design & Construction (RED&C) Director of Construction is responsible to: oversee the management of Penn Medicine capital construction projects; directing and mentoring all project management staff; influencing projects thru introduction and consideration of new or under-utilized means, methods, technologies, etc.; and making decisions and recommendations that are recognized as authoritative and having direct impact in achieving project goals and established objectives. The Director will work with leaders and executives at the various entities, communicating important project information as necessary at their respective facilities. The Director is responsible for negotiating critical and controversial issues with support team members and internal user groups. The candidate must demonstrate a high degree of creativity, foresight, and judgment in planning, organizing, and guiding SPMs, PMs and APMs of all projects to achieve Penn Medicine project objectives.
- The Director demonstrates clear and effective leadership and supervision of diverse project teams. In order to succeed, they must possess excellent verbal, written and communication skills and exhibit the ability to remain organized and on-task while overseeing many simultaneous projects.
- Oversight responsibilities for project management of assigned design and construction projects
- Ensures that active projects meet project goals and objectives.
- Ensures effective communication within project teams, including entity users.
- Provides effective communication to leadership as necessary.
- Oversees work products of assigned staff.
- Creates, maintains and directs Project Manager Training program.
Planning & Contracting
- Oversight responsibilities for implementation of the Capital Estimating Process, with both internal and external resources.
- Assists, when requested, early and conceptual planning of future projects, including entitlements, and high-level costs, schedule, logistics, etc.
- Oversees preparation and selection process of designers, construction managers, IPD teams, and direct consultants.
- Ensures selection process and contracting meets UPHS Policies and Procedures.
Design & Development
- Oversight responsibilities for managing the concept and design phases of active projects.
- Monitors and ensures coordination of design firm(s) and consultants.
- Ensures design firms meet or exceed contractual requirements and project design objectives.
- Oversight responsibilities for managing the construction phases of active projects.
- Monitors and ensures coordination of construction/contractor firm(s) and subcontractors.
- Monitors and ensures coordination of Owner-direct Contractors and Vendors.
- Ensures construction firms meet or exceed contractual requirements and project specific objectives.
- Oversight responsibilities for developing and managing overall project schedules, including all non-design/construction activities.
- Ensures all parties meet or exceed their respective schedule obligations, including milestones and phasing as may be required.
- Transition, Activation, Occupancy
- Oversight responsibilities for managing the transition and activation activities related to design and construction.
- Ensure collaboration and cooperation between the project team and entity personnel during design, construction, project completion and turnover/occupancy.
- Ensure collaboration and cooperation of the project team with entity personnel as necessary for successful activation and occupancy.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with all federal, state, and local permitting and entitlement requirements. Ensures appropriate attendance and participation in related meetings.
- Monitors and ensures compliance with all regulatory requirements, including TJC, DOH, CMS, FDA, funding agencies and others as needed.
- Monitors and ensures a safe work environment.
- Collaborates with Penn Risk Management to assure that all construction activities minimize risk to the workforce and public.
- Monitors and ensures that the level of quality meets or exceeds contractual and project specific requirements.
- Follows accounting and financial standards of Penn Medicine, actively managing project costs and expenditures to meet budget targets.
- Reporting - Keep VP and AVP of RED&C apprised of progress through regular updates or meetings and include them on important correspondence related to projects.
- Support VP and AVP of RED&C in other duties as assigned.
- Standards - Participate with the Health System Architect and others in developing and maintaining Design Standards.
- Standards – Develop, implement and maintain Construction Policies and Practices.
- Ensures effective implementation of project processes and delivery.
- Performs duties in accordance with Penn Medicine and entity values, policies, and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned to support the unit, department, entity, and health system organization.
- Bachelor's Degree (Required), preferably in Engineering, Planning, Construction Management, Architecture Design, or related profession.
- Master's Degree in Business Administration, Engineering, Architecture or similar field (Preferred)
- 10+ years of progressive experience in the management of large and small sized capital projects in a highly complex environment (Required).
- Understands and has experience in all or some of the various types of Design & Construction Contract Methodologies (e.g., Design/Bid/Build, Design/Build, CM GMP, IPD) (Required).
- Registered Architect (Preferred)
- Professional Engineer (Preferred)
- Project Manager Construction Certification (Preferred)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE