Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Pathologist Asst II
Job ID: 192159
Category: Medical Laboratory/Pathology
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- Employee maintains accession records necessary to confirm specimen/result identity; assists pathologists and residents in processing, dissection and description of gross anatomic findings of submitted specimens in accordance with established procedures; performs computer data entry and verification procedures; reports to Supervisor and performs duties as assigned. (Lab-Path Surgical Pathology - Philadelphia, PA)
- Maintains accession records according to established procedures; Correctly accessions, labels, fixes and directs specimens received in the gross room; Determines when and what action is required to ensure accuracy in the processing of surgical pathology specimens; Performs grossing with description and dissection that is clear, concise and complete.
- Enhances efficiency, production, and output with appropriate task prioritization; Ensures specimen receipt with identification verification procedures; Evaluates specimen condition while maintaining specimen integrity; Coordinates accession activities with the clerical staff along with other professional staff; Performs quality audits as required.
- Ensures that proper supplies are available and maintains clean, sterile working area; Keeps supplies at acceptable levels; Maintains instruments at top performance; Performs PM according to manufacturer’s recommendation and department policy.
- Performs duties in an independent manner; Recognizes and performs duties which need to be performed; Regularly helps others; Willingly accepts and performs new or added tasks as assigned by the supervisor; Consistently reports to supervisor any suggestions or positive changes / recommendations to departmental policies / procedures; Strives to always put time to good use.
- Works well with supervisors and those in authority; Works at establishing a good rapport and cooperative working relationship with all members of the laboratory; Maintains a positive rapport with medical staff and hospital personnel; Communicates in a highly professional manner at all times.
- Complies with Hospital and Laboratory Safety Requirements; Reports hazards to the Safety Office or Supervisor when found; Completes mandatory in-services on or before the due date; Responsible for maintaining adequate staffing on all three shifts, weekends, and holidays.
- Pathologist Assistant
- PA Certification by a minimum standards exam, such as the Board of Certification (ASCP) or equivalent, or 5 years of experience as a Pathology Assistant
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required)
- 1+ years of experience as a Pathology Assistant in an appropriate setting is required.
- Master of Arts or Science is preferred.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE