Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Dental Assistant - Oral Surgery at the Perelman Center for Advance Medicine
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 191678
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Days
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Department of Oral Surgery is looking to hire a Full Time Dental Assistant for their practice located at the Perelman Center for Advanced Medicine on the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania's campus.
Candidates will assist the physician during dental and surgical procedures and provide patient care, prepares and sterilizes instruments and equipment, obtains radiographs and instructs patients.
- Assists the physician during dental and surgical procedures. Provides patient care, prepares and sterilizes instruments and equipment, obtains radiographs and instructs patients.
- Provide chair side assistance to each physician during dental and surgical procedures.
- Provides general patient care on an ongoing basis as dictated in the health system mission statement.
- Instructs patient on proper oral hygiene techniques, nutrition and diet counseling.
- Obtains and develops radiographs (full mouth, cephologram, orthopantogram, bitewings, and etc.)
- Obtains blood pressure readings on all new patients and on return patients as necessary and documents updates on medical history.
- Obtains and pours intraoral impressions from patient for fabrication of intraoral devices.
- Maintains and sterilizes instruments and equipment necessary to perform duties. Follows department, entity and health system policies for managing the cleaning and sterilization of instruments. Ensures compliance with sterilization log documentation.
- Ensures appropriate set-up and inventory in exam room.
- Recement crowns and insert temporary restorations.
- Capable of managing medically compromised patients and providing dental care assistance for medically compromised patients.
- Reviews daily scheduling reports to ensure the physician’s needs are met for the patient’s encounter.
- Works with the physicians, Lead Dental Assistant and Supervisor to communicate areas of quality improvement in the department.
- Oversees the management of all medications in the exam rooms, security of medications at all times.
- Attends required education in-services. Maintains updated license requirements. Maintains specialized knowledge of oral and maxillofacial surgery, general dentistry and oral medicine services by reading current literature and attending appropriate seminars. Informs the Lead Dental Assistant and/or Supervisor of major changes affecting clinical care delivery.
- Maintains a filing system appropriate and necessary for proper organization.
- Develops implements and monitors clinical policy and procedure manual.
- Submits requests for purchase orders through the appropriate system as it pertains to clinical department.
- Responsible for posting patient schedule for operatories; identifying and marking films properly (name, doctor, medical record number); maintaining confidentiality of all patient records and protected health information. Following policy and procedures for maintenance of medical records and protected health information.
- X-Ray Certification (Required)
- Basic Cardiac Life Support (Required)
- CPR certification, can be obtained within three months of hire.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE