Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Per Diem- ICN Nutrition Technician- Pennsylvania Hospital
Job ID: 192340
Category: Food/Nutrition Services
Work Type: PER DIEM
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Varied
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
- This position is responsible for the daily, hands on aspect of the storage, preparation and delivery of breast milk as well as infant formula. The position supports the daily operation of the Nutrition Room to ensure optimal safety for all patients receiving prepared products from the Nutrition Room.
- Handling of Breast Milk
- Receive, document and record all breast milk received to ensure exact inventory
- Follow established handling, preparation and storage procedures for breast milk at all times, in accordance to regulations and guidelines set forth by the State of Pennsylvania, OSEH, ADA and the HMBANA.
- Verify and prepare all breast milk and/or formula feedings per physician’s order
- Reconcile all breastmilk and formula orders with physician orders. When necessary, verify physician orders for breast milk and/or mixed formulas with Registered Nurse /Registered Dietitian or ordering clinician.
- Use computerized systems to reconcile breast milk and formula feeding orders, prepare labels and production lists.
- Follow all established procedures for safe and accurately identify ad track prepared products.
- Deliver final prepared breast milk an/or mixed formula products to patient areas.
- Remove and discard all prepared, yet unused, breast milk and formulas exceeding 24 hours of preparation from patient area refrigerators according to established procedure.
- Maintain a sanitary environment in the preparation area, clean and sanitize all work surfaces before and after each feeding preparation period.
- Clean utensils, equipment and storage areas in the Milk Room according to established procedures.
- Follow aseptic technique in breast milk and/or formula preparation.
- Follow established procedures of the Nutrition Room and Pennsylvania Hospital regarding handling of breast milk and items related to feedings.
- Communicate any illness to supervisor or manager on duty.
- Follow established procedures for maintenance of personal hygiene standards and use of protective gear.
- Ensure all products are used within manufacturer’s safe usage recommendations.
- Follow procedures for formula recalls at the direction of the supervisor.
- Monitor all equipment in the Milk Room for proper operation and report problems to supervisor per policy.
- Maintain proper confidentiality and security of all information and data used in the scope of the position.
- Communicate with co-workers, parents, and allied health staff to ensure optimal breast milk collection, storage and/or mixed formula preparation.
- Interact with dietitians, nurses, unit clerks, nursing technicians, environmental and material services personnel, lactation consultants, pharmacists, nurse practitioners/physicians assistants and physicians.
- Work cooperatively with own and other departments to continuously improve the quality of services.
- Contact appropriate allied health staff (Lactation Consultants, Nursing etc.) should the parents need assistance with lactation and breast milk issues
- Incorporate UPHS core values of respect, compassion, trust, integrity, efficiency and leadership into all work efforts.
- Maintain productivity standards and practice effective time management.
- Assist in achieving compliance with state and federal regulatory and accrediting agencies.
- Participate in the training of new staff members.
- Participate in departmental and interdisciplinary meetings, task forces, and projects.
- Contribute to quality improvement and services excellence efforts.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science
- Enrolled in BS program
- H.S. Diploma/GED (Required)
- 1+ years in clinical or retail setting
- The Intensive Care Nursery is a 50 bed level 3 intensive care unit that specializes in the care of premature and critically ill infants. As part of the largest delivery service in Philadelphia, this busy unit cares for infants who require both long term and transitional care. The staff on this unit primarily care for infants who were born prematurely however other diagnosis include but are not limited to: hypoglycemia, sepsis, respiratory distress, neonatal abstinence syndrome and delayed neonatal transitions. Within the Intensive Care Nursery is a 9 bed level 2 transitional nursery that cares for lower acuity patients who are focused on gaining weight and improving feeding skills so that they can be safely discharged. The complexity of the patients on our unit requires a patient ratio of 1:1or 1:4 depending on the acuity.
- The Intensive Care Nursery is a collaborative environment that uses the skill and expertise from a variety of disciplines to provide the highest level of care in a family centered environment. Using performance improvement and evidence based practice this team is always focused on improving patient care. In addition, the unit participates in numerous research studies aimed at elevating neonatal care.
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE