This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 191928
Category: Nurse Practitioner/ Physician Assistant
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Pennsylvania Hospital has an exciting opportunity for a full time Advanced Practice Provider to join their Orthopedic Surgery inpatient provider team. This position is primarily dayshift (7A-7:30P), but the candidate must be open to covering occasional night shifts when needed.
We are looking for a dynamic Advanced Practitioner who will provide individualized, patient centered inpatient care for our patients undergoing Orthopaedic surgery and their families. You will work with a talented multidisciplinary team of NPs, PAs, Surgeons, nurses, therapists and social workers. You will have the opportunity to care for patients undergoing a wide range of orthopaedic surgeries, including spine (simple to complex), foot and ankle, total joints, sports and upper extremity.
The role is to provide care in collaboration with the Orthopaedic Surgery team. The Advanced Practitioner will practice with a high level of autonomy and have expert skills in the assessment, diagnosis and treatment of the inpatient Orthopaedic Surgery patients. This position does not include OR time. As part of their professional role, the Advanced Practitioner integrates education, research, leadership, and consultation into their clinical practice.
The scope of responsibilities include but are not limited to daily rounds with the surgical team, patient assessment, pre and post-operative patient care, admission history and physicals, diagnostic interpretations, facilitating admissions and discharges, participation in hospital and departmental meetings, team and patient care conferences and coordinating care across the continuum. You will have opportunities to participate in process/quality improvement projects and participate in the creation/implementation of clinical assessment tools and clinical pathways.
• All Advance Practice Providers function under the guidelines as designed by the University of Pennsylvania Medical Center medical staff guidelines and are credentialed through that body. The APP will be held accountable through a formal job description, delineation of privileges, and through their agreement with their collaborating physician and a Collaborative Practice Agreement. All clinical work hours and associated requirements will be defined and managed under the direction of the collaborating physician/division designee, and within the Human Resource guidelines. The APP contributes to excellence in education, leadership, professional contribution and practice.
• Provides direct clinical care for patient population according to established protocols and utilizes evidence-based practice standards in collaboration with team.
• Maintains accurate and confidential medical records. Documents all medical evaluations, diagnoses, procedures, treatments, outcomes, education, referrals, and consultations consistent with organizational standards in the electronic health record (EHR).
• Identifies self properly to the patient and family and clarifies the role of the nurse practitioner if necessary.
• The APP should function within their scope and refer to the collaborating physician when outside of scope, and/or directed by the collaborating physician or when requested by the patient and/or family.
• Performs interventions specific to assigned patient population and collaborative agreement.
•Participates in departmental research and publication work.
• Participates in the performance improvement processes to meet quality of care and service standards.
• Demonstrates awareness of professional responsibility as role model to peers and members of the health care team.
• Perform approved therapeutic or diagnostic procedures based upon patient’s clinical status.
• Addresses patient and family concerns and creates a therapeutic relationship to provide support.
• Provide patient education, counseling and instruction regarding patient diagnosis, medical treatments, medications, and preventative care.
• Participate in and support accreditation, compliance and regulatory activities of the organization.
• Precept PA/NP students and other health care learners.
• Identifies patient/family needs for community resources and refers appropriately.
• Advanced Cardiac Life Support (Required)/ACLS (For providers in the acute care setting) required
• Pennsylvania Certified Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant (Required)
• Pennsylvania Prescriptive Authority required
• For NPS: Registered Nurse - PA (Required)
• For NPS: PA RN licensure (RN) required. National Board Certification
Education or Equivalent Experience:
• Master's degree for Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant required
• The Advanced Practice Provider must be reviewed by the Credentials Committee and approved by the Medical Board
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.