Current UPHS employees must apply HERE
Patient Safety Manager - Penn Medicine
This job posting is no longer active.
Job ID: 193113
Work Type: FT
Location: Philadelphia, PA, United States
Work Schedule: M-F day shift
Penn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
Today at Penn Medicine, someone will make a breakthrough. Someone will heal a heart, deliver hopeful news, and give comfort and reassurance. Our employees shape our future each day. Are you living your life's work?
The Patient Safety Manager reports to the Director of Patient Safety and assumes accountability for operationalizing the hospital-wide patient safety program and provides leadership to improve patient safety outcomes throughout the hospital. Specifically, he/ she: (1) directs a systematic process for timely review and follow up of safety events in collaboration with patient safety officers, risk managers, frontline clinical team members, and quality & safety team members; (2) promotes timely reporting of safety events via the event management system; (3) analyzes data to identify safety-related trends and systems defects that create risk for safety events; and (4) leads efforts to design and implement solutions that eliminate medical errors and mitigate risk for safety events. A strong Patient Safety Manager must be able to: (a) communicate effectively toward negotiating multiple perspectives within the organization and driving change; (b) demonstrate judgment and establish credibility with varied teams; (c) exhibit self-direction in maintaining professional knowledge and competence within patient safety; (d) apply critical thinking and analytic skills to design and implement change initiatives; and (e) partner effectively with colleagues throughout the entity and system to advance Penn Medicine's culture of safety.
- Develop, implement, and sustain a systematic process for review and follow up of safety events
- Ensure timely and comprehensive review and follow up of serious/ sentinel safety events. Make recommendations for thorough corrective action.
- Direct teams toward timely completion of milestones in the root cause analysis (RCA)/ apparent cause analysis (ACA) process.
- Conduct safety investigations, including ACAs and/or RCAs.
- Partner with risk managers, patient safety officers, regulatory affairs, and senior leadership to advance key patient safety priorities and ensure with compliance with regulatory agencies.
- Analyze data (i.e., Safety Net reports, patient safety indicators, hospital-acquired conditions, etc.) to identify and prioritize trends requiring focused improvement efforts.
- Facilitate dialogue among stakeholders and subject matter experts to detect patient safety risks, design plans for mitigating risks and preventing harm, and support implementation and sustainment of patient safety plans.
- Serve as a subject matter expert and information for initial systems’ design or system redesign.
- Lead change management. Engage with teams throughout the hospital to identify and increase awareness of patient safety risks and related process improvements.
- Participate in hospital-level committees charged with advancing patient safety.
- Continuously evaluate and evolve processes related to safety review and follow up.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
- Bachelor of Arts or Science (Required) / Master of Arts or Science (Preferred) Business, healthcare administration, public health or science clinical experience preferred if non-clinical degree.
- 5+ years' experience in healthcare related field with leadership experience
- 2+ years of Direct patient care or strong technical knowledge of administrative, operational, and/or clinical healthcare functions
We believe that the best care for our patients starts with the best care for our employees. Our employee benefits programs help our employees get healthy and stay healthy. We offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits program that includes one of the finest prepaid tuition assistance programs in the region. Penn Medicine employees are actively engaged and committed to our mission. Together we will continue to make medical advances that help people live longer, healthier lives.
Live Your Life's Work
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.
Current UPHS employees must apply HERE