Job ID: 192177
Category: Customer Service/Patient Access
Work Type: FT
Location: West Chester, PA, United States
Work Schedule: Days/Hours Vary – Predominantly Nights
DescriptionPenn Medicine is dedicated to our tripartite mission of providing the highest level of care to patients, conducting innovative research, and educating future leaders in the field of medicine. Working for this leading academic medical center means collaboration with top clinical, technical and business professionals across all disciplines.
The Patient Services Associate Float (PSAF) assists multiple practice/departments across Patient Access Departments in maintaining a patient/customer focus, supports the delivery of high quality care, shares a passion for patient and customer-centered care, and assists in meeting or exceeding patient satisfaction and financial/operational targets, who is also responsible for the intake/patient registration and or scheduling process.
The PSAF is responsible for the arrival and/or departure activities of patients in the practice, managing and handling patient calls and inquiries, coordinating patient appointments, updating patient insurance/billing information, and performing point of service activities.
The PSAF may function in any Patient Access location or department. Rotation between PSA functions and/or departments are required. PSAF staff member may be assigned to work in a Patient Services Representative Registration and Scheduling position in any department of the Chester County Hospital. The Patient Access Leadership Team will provide an on-going pool of qualified crossed trained Patient Services/Registration/Scheduling staff to support and supplement staffing where needed.
Patient Service Associate Float:
• Strives to understand and anticipate patient needs, manages service recovery efforts when needed, enlisting management assistance as appropriate, identifies opportunities to improve the patient experience.
• As per practice/department protocols and/or measurements: answer phones in a timely manner, manage/handle patient requests and route appropriately, retrieve voicemails in a timely manner, take accurate and thorough messages and route appropriately through EMR.
• Schedule patient appointments (on phone or in person) by determining reason for visit, following established schedules and protocols, using appropriate billing area/appointment location, communicating changes and confirming appointments, and, as needed, offering alternative and canceling/rescheduling appointments.
• Responsible for arriving/departing activities of patient at any Patient Access location or department and performs point of service activities: collects copays and records accurately, obtains necessary signatures/forms, obtains insurance cards and referrals/authorizations, updates appointment status in EMR, and finalizes all check-out procedures.
• Communicates with patients regarding patient flow and wait times – keeps manager aware of potential issues as they arise.
• Issues referrals and obtains pre-authorizations for patients as required and as per protocol.
• Maintains up to date knowledge of insurance requirements pertinent to patient service and billing procedures: including basic knowledge of all managed care plans and which insurers require a copayment (including how to collect a copay) or referral.
• Validates patient demographic/insurance information and/or registers new patients into EMR using established protocols
• Records receipts accurately to ensure end of day reconciliation; participates in cash reconciliation delineations.
• Resolves work queues and/or issues from front-end reports; proactively prioritizes recovery of missing charges.
Other / Regulatory:
• Ensures compliance with all applicable federal, state, and local regulatory standards (ex TJC, DOH, FDA, HIPAA, HCFA, DPW, LCGME, SCGME, etc.)
• Staying current with communications from the Patient Access Management Team while remaining flexible and readily adopts new processes and engages in practice operation changes.
• Must schedule a minimum of 40 hours per pay period.
• Must be available to work any shift Monday-Sunday
• A minimum of 2 weekend shift and/or on-call weekend shift per month, if needed
• The holiday requirement is one holiday per Calendar year
• Flexible Schedule
· Schedules will be assigned by the Patient Access Resource Manager or designee. The Patient Access Float Associate Manager will rotate work assigned to the various shifts.
· The PSAF staff may sign up for any additional time after the departments have completed their schedules and before any overtime is scheduled.
· The PSAF staff will be assigned to units based on need and only expected to work within scope of skill for the role.
· The PSAF staff may commit to filling a temporary schedule of an employee who is on LOA or personal leave with the Directors approval.
· The PSAF staff will be the first to be reassigned should the need arise. If the IHR is reassigned during their shift, they will be paid travel time and mileage if applicable.
Education or Equivalent Experience:
High School Diploma (Required)
Medical office experience, or 2 years of customer service experience. Advanced degree may be considered in lieu of experience. (Required)
Associates Degree (Preferred)
Cross Trained in all Patient Access Departments (Required)
Demonstrated experience with supporting non Patients Access areas (Preferred)
Must successfully complete/pass EPIC schedgistration training/tests (Required)
We are an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. Candidates are considered for employment without regard to race, ethnicity, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, disability, marital status, familial status, genetic information, domestic or sexual violence victim status, citizenship status, military status, status as a protected veteran or any other status protected by applicable law.